Re: Server Shutting Down - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Crawford
Subject Re: Server Shutting Down
Date
List pgsql-general
Bob Pawley wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've had the server shut itself down when attempting to connect, even
> with PG Admin.
>
> Is there anything I can do to ensure that the pg server continues to
> run during a connection?
>
> Bob

We're going to need a bit more to go on.

Is it the whole server or just your backend? Did it used to work? What
changed? If you revert changes does it work again? Is the server
otherwise healthy? Are you exceeding something (number of connections,
open file limits or anything else you can think of) so that PG or the OS
is killing the backend? Is the server on the same machine that you are
connecting from? What OS? What do the PostgreSQL server logs say
(increase logging verbosity if necessary)?

Cheers,
Steve