Installing a module for PostgreSQL

From
Thom Brown
Date:
Hi,

This may be a stupid question, but I can't find any guide in the documentation which tells me the answer.  How do I install a module for PostgreSQL in Linux?  For example, how would I install uuid-ossp?  I can't find any options in postgresql.conf which would enable a module.  Is this an option at compile-time?

Thanks

Thom

Re: Installing a module for PostgreSQL

From
"A. Kretschmer"
Date:
> Hi,
>
> This may be a stupid question, but I can't find any guide in the documentation
> which tells me the answer.  How do I install a module for PostgreSQL in Linux?
> For example, how would I install uuid-ossp?  I can't find any options in
> postgresql.conf which would enable a module.  Is this an option at

test=*# \i /usr/share/postgresql/8.3/contrib/uuid-ossp.sql
SET
Zeit: 0,122 ms
CREATE FUNCTION
Zeit: 135,669 ms
CREATE FUNCTION
Zeit: 0,367 ms
CREATE FUNCTION
Zeit: 0,278 ms
CREATE FUNCTION
Zeit: 0,276 ms
CREATE FUNCTION
Zeit: 0,274 ms
CREATE FUNCTION
Zeit: 0,291 ms
CREATE FUNCTION
Zeit: 0,274 ms
CREATE FUNCTION
Zeit: 0,324 ms
CREATE FUNCTION
Zeit: 0,314 ms
CREATE FUNCTION
Zeit: 0,303 ms

Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer

[...]

Wow, is that it?  I didn't realise it was that simple.  Shouldn't something like this be mentioned in the modules section of the documentation?  It's just that it wasn't obvious what constituted a module.

Thanks for the answer Andreas.

Date:
Thom Brown <thombrown@gmail.com> writes:
> Wow, is that it?  I didn't realise it was that simple.  Shouldn't something
> like this be mentioned in the modules section of the documentation?  It's
> just that it wasn't obvious what constituted a module.

There is documentation here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/contrib.html

Do you think it's inadequate?  Or maybe it's just not prominent enough?
I could see how someone would miss it by failing to scroll down on what
seems to be just a table-of-contents page.  Perhaps it needs to be its
own <sect1>.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Installing a module for PostgreSQL

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 16:57 +0100, A. Kretschmer wrote:
> test=*# \i /usr/share/postgresql/8.3/contrib/uuid-ossp.sql

It may require uuid to be installed on the server in order to operate.
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ, RHCE
                   http://www.gunduz.org

Attachment