Postgres with phpScheduleIt

From
Stuart Luppescu
Date:
Hello, I'm trying to install phpScheduleIt (an on-line calendaring
application) on my system that has postgres 8.0.15 running. I have to
admit upfront that I have very little idea how postgres works; my
small-business accounting system uses it, but it's sort of like a black
box to me.

phpScheduleIt uses mySQL by default, but they claim is should work with
postgres. The setup uses a script that starts like this:

# phpScheduleIt 1.2.0 #
drop database if exists phpScheduleIt;
create database phpScheduleIt;
use phpScheduleIt;

The install docs say to do this, or the equivalent in the database
you're using:

mysql -u root -p < %path to directory%/install/setup.sql

First I did this:
su postgres
createuser -d scheduleit

That was fine. Then I tried to run the setup script, but with no
success:

$ psql -U scheduleit phpscheduleit < setup.sql
but got this message:
  psql: FATAL:  database "phpscheduleit" does not exist
I get the same message if I leave the name of the database out.

$ psql -c "create database phpScheduleIt;"
    psql: FATAL:  database "postgres" does not exist
$ psql -c "create database phpScheduleIt;" phpScheduleIt scheduleit
    psql: FATAL:  database "phpScheduleIt" does not exist

Pardon my ignorance, but I'd really appreciate it if someone could help
me out here.

--
Stuart Luppescu -=- slu .at. ccsr.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago -=- CCSR

Attachment

Re: Postgres with phpScheduleIt

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On Thursday 05 March 2009 18:39:11 Stuart Luppescu wrote:
> Hello, I'm trying to install phpScheduleIt (an on-line calendaring
> application) on my system that has postgres 8.0.15 running. I have to
> admit upfront that I have very little idea how postgres works; my
> small-business accounting system uses it, but it's sort of like a black
> box to me.
>
> phpScheduleIt uses mySQL by default, but they claim is should work with
> postgres. The setup uses a script that starts like this:
>
> # phpScheduleIt 1.2.0 #
> drop database if exists phpScheduleIt;
> create database phpScheduleIt;
> use phpScheduleIt;

I downloaded phpscheduleit to check it out, and the brief answer is, it won't
work out of the box with PostgreSQL.  It looks like you could make it work
with a bit of effort, but if you are very new to PostgreSQL, this might not
be the best use of your time.

Btw., the latest phpscheduleit version is 1.2.11, and the latest PostgreSQL
version of that branch is 8.0.20.  Make sure you run up to date software.

Re: Postgres with phpScheduleIt

Date:
Stuart Luppescu <slu@ccsr.uchicago.edu> writes:
> phpScheduleIt uses mySQL by default, but they claim is should work with
> postgres. The setup uses a script that starts like this:

> # phpScheduleIt 1.2.0 #
> drop database if exists phpScheduleIt;
> create database phpScheduleIt;
> use phpScheduleIt;

Frankly, it looks like you shouldn't believe their claim that they work
with postgres.  The "use" bit is 100% mysql-specific, and we haven't
even got into the part of things that is likely to have database
dependencies.  While it might not be difficult for someone who's
reasonably familiar with both DBs to fix things up, that's evidently not
you.  Your best bet would probably be to either use mysql like they tell
you to, or find another scheduler package whose authors actually expend
more than zero effort on working with postgres.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Postgres with phpScheduleIt

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
> Stuart Luppescu <slu@ccsr.uchicago.edu> writes:
> > phpScheduleIt uses mySQL by default, but they claim is should work with
> > postgres. The setup uses a script that starts like this:
>
> > # phpScheduleIt 1.2.0 #
> > drop database if exists phpScheduleIt;
> > create database phpScheduleIt;
> > use phpScheduleIt;
>
> Frankly, it looks like you shouldn't believe their claim that they work
> with postgres.  The "use" bit is 100% mysql-specific, and we haven't
> even got into the part of things that is likely to have database
> dependencies.  While it might not be difficult for someone who's
> reasonably familiar with both DBs to fix things up, that's evidently not
> you.  Your best bet would probably be to either use mysql like they tell
> you to, or find another scheduler package whose authors actually expend
> more than zero effort on working with postgres.

Doesn't pgAdmin have a scheduler?

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org
   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Postgres with phpScheduleIt

From
"Scot Kreienkamp"
Date:
I did get it working with 8.3, but it took some time and several posts
to the forums there.  The changes were fairly minor on the phpscheduleit
side to make it work.  They were specific to differences between mysql
and Postgres; there weren't any changes that were Postgres version
specific.  It does require a working knowledge of Postgres to get it
working though.  If anyone is interested in what I had to do, search for
posts from skreien on the forums at phpscheduleit website.

From what I saw of how it uses Postgres there shouldn't be any reason it
can't use almost any recent version; the database usage is fairly
simple.  The setup script never did work properly though.

Still using phpscheduleit with Postgres 8.3, I haven't touched it since
I built it some months ago.

Thanks,

Scot Kreienkamp
La-Z-Boy Inc.