pgsql announce now on twitter

From
Douglas J Hunley
Hi everyone:
I really wanted to let everyone know that I've created @PGSQL_Announce on
Twitter and setup a cron job to parse the feed and post it to Twitter.
It's been working for a little while now and I think it's stable enough to
announce to the world.

Forgive me if this isn't the way to announce this, or if I'm stepping on
someone's toes. I checked Twitter and didn't see anything existing for this,
so I decided to scratch my own itch. :) If anyone with PGSQL wants it shut
down or wants to take it and make it official, just ping me. Otherwise, I hope
someone can find use in this.

(PS - I'm not on these lists. CC me if you want me to see your response)

--
Douglas "Just-scratching-his-own-itch" Hunley (doug at hunley.homeip.net)

Re: pgsql announce now on twitter

From
Michelle Konzack
Date:
Am 2009-03-03 21:38:39, schrieb Douglas J Hunley:
> Hi everyone:
> I really wanted to let everyone know that I've created @PGSQL_Announce on
> Twitter and setup a cron job to parse the feed and post it to Twitter.
> It's been working for a little while now and I think it's stable enough to
> announce to the world.

For What?  --  Increasing Twitter-Spam?

> Forgive me if this isn't the way to announce this, or if I'm stepping on
> someone's toes. I checked Twitter and didn't see anything existing for this,
> so I decided to scratch my own itch. :) If anyone with PGSQL wants it shut
> down or wants to take it and make it official, just ping me. Otherwise, I hope
> someone can find use in this.

Twitter is the last crap, sending me between 30 and 150  spams  per  day
and the Abuse Departement does not react.  I was forced to block Twitter
entirely on my Mailserver since they have even spamed my postmaster  and
abuse address.

> (PS - I'm not on these lists. CC me if you want me to see your response)

Done

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

<http://www.tamay-dogan.net/>               <http://www.can4linux.org/>
+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)

Attachment

Date:
On Wednesday 04 March 2009 01:58:14 Michelle Konzack wrote:
>   Am 2009-03-03 21:38:39, schrieb Douglas J Hunley:
> > Hi everyone:
> > I really wanted to let everyone know that I've created @PGSQL_Announce on
> > Twitter and setup a cron job to parse the feed and post it to Twitter.
> > It's been working for a little while now and I think it's stable enough
> > to announce to the world.
>
> For What?  --  Increasing Twitter-Spam?

I increasingly find myself travelling between our offices or in the data center
and away from my email/feed reader. But, I always have my phone, so getting
the updates via SMS was a win for me

> Twitter is the last crap, sending me between 30 and 150  spams  per  day
> and the Abuse Departement does not react.  I was forced to block Twitter
> entirely on my Mailserver since they have even spamed my postmaster  and
> abuse address.

I'm sorry you've had such a bad experience. If I could do something for you, I
would. I'm also not at all sure what led to your situation as I literally
receive /no/ emails from Twitter. It's all SMS for me.

> > (PS - I'm not on these lists. CC me if you want me to see your response)
>
> Done

Thanks!
--
Douglas J Hunley (doug at hunley.homeip.net)

Date:
Am 2009-03-04 09:48:30, schrieb Douglas J Hunley:
> I'm sorry you've had such a bad experience. If I could do something for you, I
> would. I'm also not at all sure what led to your situation as I literally
> receive /no/ emails from Twitter. It's all SMS for me.

The problem are the peoples, whish create  an  accound  there  and  then
promoting the stuff per spam...  The Debian  Mailinglists  are  regulary
hit by this shit.  But since my e-mails (23 in total) have  found  there
way inon there Distributionlists, I have per week over 1000 Tritter spam

Date:
On Wednesday 04 March 2009 12:19:01 Michelle Konzack wrote:
> > I'm sorry you've had such a bad experience. If I could do something for
> > you, I would. I'm also not at all sure what led to your situation as I
> > literally receive no emails from Twitter. It's all SMS for me.
>
> The problem are the peoples, whish create  an  accound  there  and  then
> promoting the stuff per spam...  The Debian  Mailinglists  are  regulary
> hit by this shit.  But since my e-mails (23 in total) have  found  there
> way inon there Distributionlists, I have per week over 1000 Tritter spam

I've had good response reporting said spammers to the @spam account on
twitter. Sorry to hear you're not getting the traction needed.

Since we're way off-topic for these lists, I'm out. Hope things get better for
you. Thanks for the responses.
Douglas J Hunley (doug at hunley.homeip.net

Re: pgsql announce now on twitter

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 07:58 +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Am 2009-03-03 21:38:39, schrieb Douglas J Hunley:
> > Hi everyone:
> > I really wanted to let everyone know that I've created @PGSQL_Announce on
> > Twitter and setup a cron job to parse the feed and post it to Twitter.
> > It's been working for a little while now and I think it's stable enough to
> > announce to the world.
>
> For What?  --  Increasing Twitter-Spam?

Not sure what the complainer is talking about here. pgsql-announce is
moderated so spam should be almost nil.

Anyway, I think this is a great thing that you have done as it allows
further exposure to our great project. Good Work.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org
   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: pgsql announce now on twitter

From
Andrej
Date:
2009/3/5 Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com>:
> Not sure what the complainer is talking about here. pgsql-announce is
> moderated so spam should be almost nil.
Isn't she the one who keeps complaining about the reply-to-all
on the list and isn't subscribed because of the volume? ;}

Re: pgsql announce now on twitter

From
Christophe
Date:
On Mar 4, 2009, at 9:54 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Not sure what the complainer is talking about here. pgsql-announce is
> moderated so spam should be almost nil.

I'm not 100% sure what "Twitter spam" *is*, for that matter.

Re: pgsql announce now on twitter

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 04/03/2009 17:54, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Anyway, I think this is a great thing that you have done as it allows
> further exposure to our great project. Good Work.

+1

I think it's a great idea.

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: pgsql announce now on twitter

From
hubert depesz lubaczewski
Date:
On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 06:19:01PM +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> The problem are the peoples, whish create  an  accound  there  and  then
> promoting the stuff per spam...  The Debian  Mailinglists  are  regulary
> hit by this shit.  But since my e-mails (23 in total) have  found  there
> way inon there Distributionlists, I have per week over 1000 Tritter spam

I don't understand how mailing list can be affected by someone creating
twitter account and spamming on twitter. you have to actively
*follow* such spamming account. and how does it even has to do with new
account providing new information? care to explain?

Best regards,

depesz

--
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/depesz  /  blog: http://www.depesz.com/
jid/gtalk: depesz@depesz.com / aim:depeszhdl / skype:depesz_hdl / gg:6749007

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] pgsql announce now on twitter

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Christophe wrote:

> On Mar 4, 2009, at 9:54 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Not sure what the complainer is talking about here. pgsql-announce is
>> moderated so spam should be almost nil.
>
> I'm not 100% sure what "Twitter spam" *is*, for that matter.

Redundant.

;-)

--Josh

Date:
On Wednesday 04 March 2009 15:39:36 Mark Styles wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 09:38:39PM -0500, Douglas J Hunley wrote:
> > I really wanted to let everyone know that I've created @PGSQL_Announce on
> > Twitter and setup a cron job to parse the feed and post it to Twitter.
> > It's been working for a little while now and I think it's stable enough
> > to announce to the world.
>
> Nice, how about doing the same for http://identi.ca? Support the open
> source alternatives...

That was suggested in private reply as well. I'd never even looked at it, but
have added it to my 'todo' list.

--
Douglas J Hunley (doug at hunley.homeip.net)

Re: pgsql announce now on twitter

From
Mark Styles
Date:
On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 09:38:39PM -0500, Douglas J Hunley wrote:
> I really wanted to let everyone know that I've created @PGSQL_Announce on
> Twitter and setup a cron job to parse the feed and post it to Twitter.
> It's been working for a little while now and I think it's stable enough to
> announce to the world.

Nice, how about doing the same for http://identi.ca? Support the open
source alternatives...

--
Mark
http://www.lambic.co.uk

Attachment

Date:
On Wednesday 04 March 2009 15:39:36 Mark Styles wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 09:38:39PM -0500, Douglas J Hunley wrote:
> > I really wanted to let everyone know that I've created @PGSQL_Announce on
> > Twitter and setup a cron job to parse the feed and post it to Twitter.
> > It's been working for a little while now and I think it's stable enough
> > to announce to the world.
>
> Nice, how about doing the same for http://identi.ca? Support the open
> source alternatives...

Done. The account is pgsqlanounce
--
Douglas J Hunley (doug at hunley.homeip.net)

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] pgsql announce now on twitter

From
Dan Langille
Date:
Mark Styles wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 09:38:39PM -0500, Douglas J Hunley wrote:
>> I really wanted to let everyone know that I've created @PGSQL_Announce on
>> Twitter and setup a cron job to parse the feed and post it to Twitter.
>> It's been working for a little while now and I think it's stable enough to
>> announce to the world.
>
> Nice, how about doing the same for http://identi.ca? Support the open
> source alternatives...

That was done about 22 hours ago according to this:

   http://twitter.com/PGSQL_Announce/status/1281937759

--
Dan Langille

Date:
On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 09:44:58AM -0500, Douglas J Hunley wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 March 2009 15:39:36 Mark Styles wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 09:38:39PM -0500, Douglas J Hunley wrote:
> > > I really wanted to let everyone know that I've created @PGSQL_Announce on
> > > Twitter and setup a cron job to parse the feed and post it to Twitter.
> > > It's been working for a little while now and I think it's stable enough
> > > to announce to the world.
> >
> > Nice, how about doing the same for http://identi.ca? Support the open
> > source alternatives...
>
> Done. The account is pgsqlanounce

Good stuff!

BTW, Identica has group support, and I created a postgres group a while
ago. You can join it here:

http://identi.ca/group/postgres

--
Mark
http://www.lambic.co.uk

Attachment

Date:
On Thursday 05 March 2009 21:15:08 Mark Styles wrote:
> BTW, Identica has group support, and I created a postgres group a while
> ago. You can join it here:
>
> http://identi.ca/group/postgres

Joined

--