how to specify the locale that psql uses

From
Kent Tong
Date:
Hi,

I am running a Chinese edition of XP. When I start psql, it is probably
trying to display Chinese and
maybe it gets the encoding wrong, it displays garbage in its console. Is
there any way to tell it to
just use English instead? In Linux, one can do something like "LC_ALL=en
psql" but it doesn't seem
to work on the Windows port of PostgreSQL.

Thanks for any help!

-----
--
Kent Tong
Wicket tutorials freely available at http://www.agileskills2.org/EWDW

Re: how to specify the locale that psql uses

From
Reg Me Please
Date:
On Thursday 22 January 2009 09:36:53 Kent Tong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running a Chinese edition of XP. When I start psql, it is probably
> trying to display Chinese and
> maybe it gets the encoding wrong, it displays garbage in its console. Is
> there any way to tell it to
> just use English instead? In Linux, one can do something like "LC_ALL=en
> psql" but it doesn't seem
> to work on the Windows port of PostgreSQL.
>
> Thanks for any help!
>

> -----
> --
> Kent Tong
> Wicket tutorials freely available at http://www.agileskills2.org/EWDW
> Axis2 tutorials freely available at http://www.agileskills2.org/DWSAA
> Nabble.com.

psql --help ?

--
Fahrbahn ist ein graues Band
weisse Streifen, grüner Rand

Reg Me Please wrote:

> psql --help ?

which option you're referring to? I tried --locale but it had no effect.

-----
--

Date:
On Thursday 22 January 2009 10:04:58 Kent Tong wrote:
> Reg Me Please wrote:
> > psql --help ?
>
> which option you're referring to? I tried --locale but it had no effect.
>

> -----
> --
> Kent Tong
> Wicket tutorials freely available at http://www.agileskills2.org/EWDW
> Axis2 tutorials freely available at http://www.agileskills2.org/DWSAA
> Nabble.com.

Weel, you have two locales: one on the client and one the server.
The former is needed for "translations" to the server whenver the two don't
match.
The latter is chosen at the CREATE DATABASE <dbname> ENCODING <encoding>.

--

Reg Me Please wrote:

> Weel, you have two locales: one on the client and one the server.
> The former is needed for "translations" to the server whenver the two
> don't
> match.
> The latter is chosen at the CREATE DATABASE <dbname> ENCODING <encoding>.

I am referring to the locale on the client that determines the text prompts
it
outputs.

-----
--

Date:
On Thursday 22 January 2009 10:51:41 Kent Tong wrote:
> Reg Me Please wrote:
> > Weel, you have two locales: one on the client and one the server.
> > The former is needed for "translations" to the server whenver the two
> > don't
> > match.
> > The latter is chosen at the CREATE DATABASE <dbname> ENCODING <encoding>.
>
> I am referring to the locale on the client that determines the text prompts
> it
> outputs.
>
> -----
> --
> Kent Tong
> Wicket tutorials freely available at http://www.agileskills2.org/EWDW
> Axis2 tutorials freely available at http://www.agileskills2.org/DWSAA
> Nabble.com.

In general, refer to "8.13.2. Encoding Handling" and "Chapter 22.
Localization" on v8.3.5 documentation.

Then you could use either the "\encoding" or the "SET client_encoding
TO ..." into psql, the "PGCLIENTENCODING" environment variable or
the "client_encoding" main configuration argument.

Moreover you can check from psql and pl/pgsql the current client encoding
with SELECT * FROM  pg_client_encoding();

I hope any of these will help.

--

Reg Me Please wrote:

> In general, refer to "8.13.2. Encoding Handling" and "Chapter 22.
> Localization" on v8.3.5 documentation.

Thanks for your replies. However, as I said before, I am asking for the
locale controlling the text
prompts printed by psql. I've read the chapter you quoted before posting for
help and it didn't
apply to the issue.

-----
--
Kent Tong
Wicket tutorials freely available at http://www.agileskills2.org/EWDW
Axis2 tutorials freely available at http://www.agileskills2.org/DWSAA

Re: how to specify the locale that psql uses

From
"Albe Laurenz"
Kent Tong wrote:
> I am referring to the locale on the client that determines the text prompts it outputs.

I think "Reg me Please" got you wrong, here's the answer:

To set the locale for server messages, set the server configuration
parameter "lc_messages" to the appropriate value.

You can either do this for the current session with the SQL command:
SET lc_messages='....';
or you can change the default in postgresql.conf and reload.

To change the locale of messages *by* psql, libpq and other client
programs, change the current locale where you start the client.

How you do this depends on the operating system; on UNIX you do
it by setting the LANG environment variable.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: how to specify the locale that psql uses

From
Dhaval Jaiswal

When you install postgreSQL over XP at the same time it asks for encoding & locale.
Set at the same time. Follow the below link will give you more idea.

If you want to change the locale of existing database. You can't.
The workaround for that you can create another cluster with initdb command with supported locale.

If you want to create database with different encoding. You can.
You can execute the following command.

Command:     CREATE DATABASE
Syntax:
CREATE DATABASE name
    [ [ WITH ] [ OWNER [=] dbowner ]
           [ TEMPLATE [=] template ]
           [ ENCODING [=] encoding ]
           [ TABLESPACE [=] tablespace ]
           [ CONNECTION LIMIT [=] connlimit ] ]

--
Thanks & Regards,
Dhaval Jaiswal

I am running a Chinese edition of XP. When I start psql, it is probably
trying to display Chinese and
maybe it gets the encoding wrong, it displays garbage in its console. Is
there any way to tell it to
just use English instead? In Linux, one can do something like "LC_ALL=en
psql" but it doesn't seem
to work on the Windows port of PostgreSQL.

Thanks for any help!

-----
--
Kent Tong
Wicket tutorials freely available at http://www.agileskills2.org/EWDW
Axis2 tutorials freely available at http://www.agileskills2.org/DWSAA

Re: how to specify the locale that psql uses

From
Shoaib Mir
Date:
When you install postgreSQL over XP at the same time it asks for encoding & locale.
Set at the same time. Follow the below link will give you more idea.

Please updates yourself with the latest version as its 8.3.7 these days and you are still like years and years behind with version 7.2 documentation :)

If you want to change the locale of existing database. You can't.
The workaround for that you can create another cluster with initdb command with supported locale.

I dont think so the person asking the question ever asked for changing encoding for the database. Please make sure to read the question atleast, as it was about changing locale for psql.

In order to do that

For server messages:
-------------------------------

set the configuration parameter "lc_messages" to a value you like to have for getting messages back from server.

It can done in both ways, for the session and permanently.

In order to do for a session use:

set lc_message = ....

and otherwise set it in your postgresql.conf file and reload.

For Client messages:

For client programs like psql, change the current locale where you are starting up psql. I am not sure about windows but in Linux you can do this by setting LANG environment variable.

--
Shoaib Mir
http://shoaibmir.wordpress.com/

Re: how to specify the locale that psql uses

From
Dhaval Jaiswal

I had given reply abt windows