autovacuum daemon

From
Abdul Rahman
Date:
Deal All,

I have set postgresql.conf for autovacuum and need to know weather the process is running/working or not.

Regards,
Avdul Rehman.

Re: autovacuum daemon

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 21/01/2009 07:47, Abdul Rahman wrote:

> I have set postgresql.conf for autovacuum and need to know weather
> the process is running/working or not.

ps ax | grep postgres

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: autovacuum daemon

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 21/01/2009 14:57, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
> On 21/01/2009 07:47, Abdul Rahman wrote:
>
>> I have set postgresql.conf for autovacuum and need to know weather
>> the process is running/working or not.
>
> ps ax | grep postgres

Also, in psql:

postgres=# show autovacuum;
 autovacuum
------------
 on
(1 row)

HTH,

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: autovacuum daemon

From
Andreas Wenk
Date:

Re: autovacuum daemon

From
Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz
Date:
select * from pg_autovacuum;

--
GJ

Re: autovacuum daemon

From
Sam Mason
Date:
  [ Grzegorz, please include some context ]

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 03:01:39PM +0000, Grzegorz Jaaakiewicz wrote:
> Avdul Rehman wrote:
> > I have set postgresql.conf for autovacuum and need to know weather
> > the process is running/working or not.
>
> select * from pg_autovacuum;

This won't do what the OP was asking for; pg_autovacuum only records
non-default autovacuum parameters where they have been set by the
user/admin.  More details here:

  http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/catalog-pg-autovacuum.html

--
  Sam  http://samason.me.uk/

Re: autovacuum daemon

From
Abdul Rahman
Date:
Dear All,

Thanks for fruitful replies. But I checked it by running ANALYZE on psql. First updated 10000 rows in a table and got certain number of dead rows in result of ANALYZE. After few minutes the number of dead rows becomes zero which assured me that AUTOVACUUM is running in background.

Now, kindly let me know the detail about the solution send by Ray, i.e.
ps ax | grep postgres

Regards,
Abdul Rehman.

Re: autovacuum daemon

From
Abdul Rahman
Date:
Thanks Ray,

Your solution of using ps command is for Linux but I am using WinXp. That is why it confused me.

Regards,
Abdul Rehman.

Re: autovacuum daemon

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 22/01/2009 07:15, Abdul Rahman wrote:

> Your solution of using ps command is for Linux but I am using WinXp.
> That is why it confused me.

No problem! :-) It occurred to me after I sent the email that you might
not be on Linux....

It's a good idea, when posting questions, to include as much background
detail as you can - platform, PG version, etc etc - it helps you get an
answer to your specific problem more quickly, as it saves back-and-forth
questions about this stuff.

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: autovacuum daemon

From
Thomas Kellerer
Date:
Abdul Rahman wrote on 22.01.2009 07:06:
> Now, kindly let me know the detail about the solution send by Ray, i.e.
>
> ps ax | grep postgres

For WindowsXP the above command can be written as:

tasklist /v /fi "imagename eq postgres.exe"

Thomas

Re: autovacuum daemon

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 25/01/2009 13:37, Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> Abdul Rahman wrote on 22.01.2009 07:06:
>> Now, kindly let me know the detail about the solution send by Ray, i.e.
>>
>> ps ax | grep postgres
>
> For WindowsXP the above command can be written as:
>
> tasklist /v /fi "imagename eq postgres.exe"

Cool! I didn't know that one. Must R some more FMs.... :-)

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: autovacuum daemon

From
Thomas Kellerer
Date:
Raymond O'Donnell wrote on 25.01.2009 19:28:
>> For WindowsXP the above command can be written as:
>>
>> tasklist /v /fi "imagename eq postgres.exe"
>
> Cool! I didn't know that one. Must R some more FMs.... :-)

No need for manuals :)

Just enter "takslist /?"

Regards
Thomas