version number between pgdump and server

From
Laurent ROCHE
Date:
Hello,

I am trying to backup a single table using pgdump. However the command fails because pgdump considers there's a mismatch between the server version (8.3.3) and the pgdump version (8.3.0) version.
I get the following message:
pg_dump.exe -h my_server -p 5432 -U postgres -F p -v -f "C:\Projects\table.sql" -t "\"public\".\"my_table\"" my_db
pg_dump: server version: 8.3.3; pg_dump version: 8.3.0
pg_dump: aborting because of version mismatch  (Use the -i option to proceed anyway.)
pg_dump: *** aborted because of error

Will it not be more reasonable to abort only if the first two numbers mismatch but not the last one which is (AFAIK) only a patch number and does not change the features ?

Cheers,
L@u
The Computing Froggy

Re: version number between pgdump and server

From
"Harald Armin Massa"
Date:
Laurent,

> Will it not be more reasonable to abort only if the first two numbers
> mismatch but not the last one which is (AFAIK) only a patch number and does
> not change the features ?

it corrects bugs. Not only security vulnerabilities, but also bugs.

And it may be that there is also a fixed bug in pg_dump. So better one
warning more then one warning less,

best wishes,

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare

Re: version number between pgdump and server

Date:
Laurent ROCHE <laurent_roche@yahoo.com> writes:
> I get the following message:
> pg_dump.exe -h my_server -p 5432 -U
> postgres -F p -v -f "C:\Projects\table.sql" -t
> "\"public\".\"my_table\"" my_db
> pg_dump: server version: 8.3.3; pg_dump version: 8.3.0
> pg_dump: aborting because of version mismatch  (Use the -i option to proceed anyway.)
> pg_dump: *** aborted because of error

> Will it not be more reasonable to abort only if the first two numbers mismatch but not the last one which is (AFAIK)
onlya patch number and does not change the features ?

FYI, this has been changed for 8.4.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-03/msg01071.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2008-04/msg00157.php

Nonetheless, it'd be a good idea to update your pg_dump.

            regards, tom lane