version number between pgdump and server - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Laurent ROCHE
Subject version number between pgdump and server
Date
Re: version number between pgdump and server
List pgsql-general
Hello,

I am trying to backup a single table using pgdump. However the command fails because pgdump considers there's a mismatch between the server version (8.3.3) and the pgdump version (8.3.0) version.
I get the following message:
pg_dump.exe -h my_server -p 5432 -U postgres -F p -v -f "C:\Projects\table.sql" -t "\"public\".\"my_table\"" my_db
pg_dump: server version: 8.3.3; pg_dump version: 8.3.0
pg_dump: aborting because of version mismatch  (Use the -i option to proceed anyway.)
pg_dump: *** aborted because of error

Will it not be more reasonable to abort only if the first two numbers mismatch but not the last one which is (AFAIK) only a patch number and does not change the features ?

Cheers,
L@u
The Computing Froggy