user and DB confusion

From
"arnuld uttre"
Date:
I created a new user and then a new DB with that user, where the user
is the owner:

-bash-3.00$ createuser -d -P
Enter name of user to add: arnuld
Enter password for new user:
Enter it again:
Shall the new user be allowed to create more new users? (y/n) n
CREATE USER

[arnuld@dune ~]$ createdb -O arnuld -U arnuld arnuldforum
CREATE DATABASE

when I pass this username "arnuld" and the password for "arnuld" to
phpBB3 (for installation) it says "could not connect to database"
while I can connect to database without any problem. I don't
understand why phpbb says there is something wrong with DB settings

[arnuld@dune ~]$ psql arnuldforum
Welcome to psql 7.4.17, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

       \h for help with SQL commands
       \? for help on internal slash commands
       \q to quit

arnuldforum=>

--
http://uttre.wordpress.com/2008/05/14/the-lost-love-of-mine/

Re: user and DB confusion

From
"Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz"

what does your pg_hba.conf says ?

you sure you want to use 7.4 on new installations ? that's like - years behind.

Re: user and DB confusion

From
"arnuld uttre"
Date:
> On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 3:15 PM, Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz
> <gryzman@gmail.com> wrote:

> what does your pg_hba.conf says ?

# TYPE  DATABASE    USER        IP-ADDRESS        IP-MASK           METHOD

# IPv4-style local connections:
#host    all         all         127.0.0.1         255.255.255.255   trust
# IPv6-style local connections:
#host    all         all         ::1
ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff        trust

# Using sockets credentials for improved security. Not available everywhere,
# but works on Linux, *BSD (and probably some others)

local  all    all             ident   sameuser

> you sure you want to use 7.4 on new installations ? that's like - years
> behind.

Its my office machine, running CentOS 4.6, which itself is quite old.
I can't help that as my boss decides what to be done on that machine,
except that I can install new softwares.

I want to run my own forum and thats why I am working on this stuff
and somehow I like PostgreSQL more that MySQL.

--
http://uttre.wordpress.com/2008/05/14/the-lost-love-of-mine/

Re: user and DB confusion

From
"Scott Marlowe"
Date:
2008/10/13 arnuld uttre <arnuld.mizong@gmail.com>:
>> On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 3:15 PM, Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz
>> <gryzman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> what does your pg_hba.conf says ?
>
> # TYPE  DATABASE    USER        IP-ADDRESS        IP-MASK           METHOD
>
> # IPv4-style local connections:
> #host    all         all         127.0.0.1         255.255.255.255   trust
> # IPv6-style local connections:
> #host    all         all         ::1
> ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff        trust
>
> # Using sockets credentials for improved security. Not available everywhere,
> # but works on Linux, *BSD (and probably some others)
>
> local  all    all             ident   sameuser

Most likely phpbb is trying to connect via ipv4 which you don't have
turned on.  Just a guess though.