macport for libpqxx

From
"Darren Weber"
Date:
http://pqxx.org/development/libpqxx/

I'm in the process of creating a macport for libpqxx.  I could use
some help from anyone with experience in building postgresql or
libpqxx on OSX, esp. against the macport libraries.

Thanks, Darren

Re: [HACKERS] macport for libpqxx

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 7:30 AM, Darren Weber
<darren.weber.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://pqxx.org/development/libpqxx/
>
> I'm in the process of creating a macport for libpqxx.  I could use
> some help from anyone with experience in building postgresql or
> libpqxx on OSX, esp. against the macport libraries.

Never built libpqxx or a MacPort), but I'm used to building Postgres
and other PG apps and the fu required to get universal binaries. What
do you need?

--
Dave Page

Re: [HACKERS] macport for libpqxx

From
"Darren Weber"
Date:
Hi Dave,

Thanks for getting back to me.  Please find attached a draft Portfile
for libpqxx-2.6.9 (the stable version).  It's easy to read the
Portfile to see what is going on.  I think it should work fine, but I
would appreciate any advice about any configure options that should be
enabled.

I've got a problem within macports (not specific to pg or libpqxx).
MacPorts will not locate the pg_config.sh file during the macport
build.  I can't just modify the $PATH env because the macport build
ignores it.  There is an internal variable called $binpath in
macports, but it's read-only.  I can't figure out how to get the
macport configure process to find the right pg_config.  Any help
appreciated.

Thanks, Darren

PS, If you want to try out this Portfile, take a look at the macports
guide (esp. sections 4,5):
http://guide.macports.org/chunked/
Then follow the instructions to create your local repository here:
http://guide.macports.org/chunked/development.local-repositories.html
Then put this Portfile into databases/libpqxx within your repository.

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 12:27 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 7:30 AM, Darren Weber
> <darren.weber.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://pqxx.org/development/libpqxx/
>>
>> I'm in the process of creating a macport for libpqxx.  I could use
>> some help from anyone with experience in building postgresql or
>> libpqxx on OSX, esp. against the macport libraries.
>
> Never built libpqxx or a MacPort), but I'm used to building Postgres
> and other PG apps and the fu required to get universal binaries. What
> do you need?
>
> --
> Dave Page

Re: [HACKERS] macport for libpqxx

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 5:25 PM, Darren Weber
<darren.weber.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> Thanks for getting back to me.  Please find attached a draft Portfile
> for libpqxx-2.6.9 (the stable version).  It's easy to read the
> Portfile to see what is going on.  I think it should work fine, but I
> would appreciate any advice about any configure options that should be
> enabled.

There's nothing much to configure from what I can see.

> I've got a problem within macports (not specific to pg or libpqxx).
> MacPorts will not locate the pg_config.sh file during the macport
> build.  I can't just modify the $PATH env because the macport build
> ignores it.  There is an internal variable called $binpath in
> macports, but it's read-only.  I can't figure out how to get the
> macport configure process to find the right pg_config.  Any help
> appreciated.

Can you do something like:

configure    { system "cd ${workpath}/${distname}-${version} &&
${configure.env} && PATH=/foo/bar:$PATH ./configure ${configure.args}"
}

Alternatively, the libpqxx docs say you can set ${PG_CONFIG} to the
path to pg_config, so perhaps you can set that in configure.env (that
sounds like the cleanest option).

--
Dave Page