Postres.exe Processes Hang

From
"Kim Robinson"

I am using the npgsql postgres data adaptor in a C# ASP.NET application. Each time the site establishes a new connection to the database a postgres.exe process is started. For some reason this process is not removed when the connection is closed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kim

Kim RobinsonïGeomatics Consultant

B. Geom (Hons)

P Please consider the environment before printing my email

This message and any attachments may contain confidential or privileged information, and are intended solely for the named recipient(s). If you are not a named recipient of this message, you are hereby notified that you must not use, disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on this message or any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please notify Hydro Tasmania immediately via mailto:webmaster@hydro.com.au

Unless otherwise specified, any personal views and opinions expressed herein are purely those of the author and do not represent the views of Hydro Tasmania.

Re: Postres.exe Processes Hang

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Kim Robinson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using the npgsql postgres data adaptor in a C# ASP.NET application.
> Each time the site establishes a new connection to the database a
> postgres.exe process is started. For some reason this process is not
> removed when the connection is closed.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you by any chance using some connection pooling that keeps it alive?
I don't remember what the default is in npgsql, but a lot of frameworks
have connection pooling enabled by default.

//Magnus

Re: Postres.exe Processes Hang

From
"Francisco Figueiredo Jr."
Date:
On 8/18/08, Magnus Hagander

Hi, all!
As Magnus said, this is caused by the fact Npgsql does connection pool
by default.
You can change that by passing pooling=false in your connection string.

You can get more info at
manual.npgsql.org

I hope it helps

<magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> Kim Robinson wrote:
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I am using the npgsql postgres data adaptor in a C# ASP.NET application.
>> Each time the site establishes a new connection to the database a
>> postgres.exe process is started. For some reason this process is not
>> removed when the connection is closed.
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Are you by any chance using some connection pooling that keeps it alive?
> I don't remember what the default is in npgsql, but a lot of frameworks
> have connection pooling enabled by default.
>
> //Magnus

Francisco Figueiredo Jr.
http://fxjr.blogspot.com
http://www.npgsql.org

Francisco Figueiredo Jr.
http://fxjr.blogspot.com
http://www.npgsql.org

Re: Postres.exe Processes Hang

From
"Kim Robinson"
Date:
Great thanks all.
Can you give me any indication of the performance implications of
setting pooling=false?

<magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> Kim Robinson wrote:
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I am using the npgsql postgres data adaptor in a C# ASP.NET
application.
>> Each time the site establishes a new connection to the database a
>> postgres.exe process is started. For some reason this process is not
>> removed when the connection is closed.
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Are you by any chance using some connection pooling that keeps it
alive?
> I don't remember what the default is in npgsql, but a lot of
frameworks
> have connection pooling enabled by default.
>
> //Magnus

Francisco Figueiredo Jr.
http://fxjr.blogspot.com
http://www.npgsql.org

Francisco Figueiredo Jr.
http://fxjr.blogspot.com
http://www.npgsql.org

Date:
On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 9:59 PM, Kim Robinson <Kim.Robinson@hydro.com.au> wrote:
> Great thanks all.
> Can you give me any indication of the performance implications of
> setting pooling=false?

Yeap. All the time you would need to connect to postgresql you will
have the overhead of tcp connection establishment as well as the
overhead of postgresql authentication.

I don't know how much this is in time, but you can give it a try with
some tests which opens a connection, do a simple query like select
version() and close it.

I think you could see something like 2 or 3 times slower than with the
pool enabled.

Francisco Figueiredo Jr.
http://fxjr.blogspot.com
http://www.npgsql.org