Experiences with BLOB + PostgreSQL

From
juliano.freitas@ati.pe.gov.br
Date:
Hello,

I'd like to ask you about some experience in managing huge databases which
store mostly binary files. We're developing a system which is likely to
grow up to terabytes in some years and I'd like to hear something from
people who really administrate these kinds of databases.

Please tell us the size of you database and the main problems you
encountered managing it. It will certainly be very helpful, specially for
me.

Thank you all!

Juliano

Re: Experiences with BLOB + PostgreSQL

From
Tomasz Ostrowski
Date:
On 2008-08-14 20:03, juliano.freitas@ati.pe.gov.br wrote:

> I'd like to ask you about some experience in managing huge databases which
> store mostly binary files.

Do you mean BYTEA or large objects? Both have pros and cons.

> We're developing a system which is likely to grow up to terabytes in
> some years and I'd like to hear something from people who really
> administrate these kinds of databases.

I do not really administrate this kind of database, but I see one
serious problem - a major version upgrade would be very hard.

A filesystem storage with metadata stored in a database would be much
better.

Pozdrawiam
Tometzky
--
Best of prhn - najzabawniejsze teksty polskiego UseNet-u
http://prhn.dnsalias.org/