Postgres 8.3.x installation on Fedora 9 system

From
Jack Orenstein
Date:
Pardon a dumb question. Installing Postgres 7.x on FC4-6, I would install a
large set of RPMs, these I think:

     postgresql
     postgresql-contrib
     postgresql-devel
     postgresql-jdbc
     postgresql-libs
     postgresql-python
     postgresql-server

I then had everything I need to run postgres and access it from Java and Python
(through the pygresql driver).

I'm now trying to move to 8.3.x on Fedora 9. Using pgdg-83-fedora.repo, yum
finds two RPMs, postgresql-8.3.3-1PGDG.f9.i386 and
postgresql-libs-8.3.3-1PGDG.f9.i386.  I checked postgresql.org, but the fedora 9
directories are empty, (unlike the f7 and f8 directories).

I know that the JDBC driver is a separate project, but I'm having trouble
getting python access to work.  I downloaded PyGreSQL-3.8.tgz, but cannot
install it because it relies on pg_config, which is not present the the 8.3.3
RPMs I installed.

Am I just on the wrong path here, starting with the postgresql and
postgresql-libs RPMs?

Jack Orenstein

Re: Postgres 8.3.x installation on Fedora 9 system

Date:
Jack Orenstein <jack.orenstein@hds.com> writes:
> Pardon a dumb question. Installing Postgres 7.x on FC4-6, I would install a
> large set of RPMs, these I think:

>      postgresql
>      postgresql-contrib
>      postgresql-devel
>      postgresql-jdbc
>      postgresql-libs
>      postgresql-python
>      postgresql-server

So ... why didn't you just "yum install" the same ones on F-9?

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> Jack Orenstein <jack.orenstein@hds.com> writes:
>> Pardon a dumb question. Installing Postgres 7.x on FC4-6, I would install a
>> large set of RPMs, these I think:
>
>>      postgresql
>>      postgresql-contrib
>>      postgresql-devel
>>      postgresql-jdbc
>>      postgresql-libs
>>      postgresql-python
>>      postgresql-server
>
> So ... why didn't you just "yum install" the same ones on F-9?

Can't find them. They aren't on postgresql.org (e.g.
http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v8.3.3/linux/rpms/fedora/fedora-9-i386/),
and apparently not on pgdg-83-fedora.repo.

Jack

Re: Postgres 8.3.x installation on Fedora 9 system

From
Craig White
Date:
On Thu, 2008-08-07 at 17:24 -0400, Jack Orenstein wrote:
> Pardon a dumb question. Installing Postgres 7.x on FC4-6, I would install a
> large set of RPMs, these I think:
>
>      postgresql
>      postgresql-contrib
>      postgresql-devel
>      postgresql-jdbc
>      postgresql-libs
>      postgresql-python
>      postgresql-server
>
> I then had everything I need to run postgres and access it from Java and Python
> (through the pygresql driver).
>
> I'm now trying to move to 8.3.x on Fedora 9. Using pgdg-83-fedora.repo, yum
> finds two RPMs, postgresql-8.3.3-1PGDG.f9.i386 and
> postgresql-libs-8.3.3-1PGDG.f9.i386.  I checked postgresql.org, but the fedora 9
> directories are empty, (unlike the f7 and f8 directories).
>
> I know that the JDBC driver is a separate project, but I'm having trouble
> getting python access to work.  I downloaded PyGreSQL-3.8.tgz, but cannot
> install it because it relies on pg_config, which is not present the the 8.3.3
> RPMs I installed.
>
> Am I just on the wrong path here, starting with the postgresql and
> postgresql-libs RPMs?
----
Fedora 9 has it's own postgres 8.3.3 packages as part of base...

# rpm -qa|grep postgres
mono-data-postgresql-1.9.1-2.fc9.i386
postgresql-odbc-08.03.0100-1.fc9.i386
postgresql-server-8.3.3-2.fc9.i386
postgresql-python-8.3.3-2.fc9.i386
postgresql-devel-8.3.3-2.fc9.i386
postgresql-8.3.3-2.fc9.i386
postgresql-libs-8.3.3-2.fc9.i386

Not sure why you feel the need to go to a 3rd party

Craig

restoring one table?

From
Brian Maguire
Date:
We need to restore one table from a backup.  What is the proper way to do this?

Our backup command looks like this:

pg_dump -C -Fc -S postgresql mydatabase > today.backup.sqlc

I am using PostgreSQL 8.1.

Re: Postgres 8.3.x installation on Fedora 9 system

Date:
Jack Orenstein <jack.orenstein@hds.com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> So ... why didn't you just "yum install" the same ones on F-9?

> Can't find them.

You didn't look in the standard Fedora repositories?

            regards, tom lane

Re: restoring one table?

From
"Scott Marlowe"
Date:
On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 4:34 PM, Brian Maguire <bmaguire@vantage.com> wrote:
> We need to restore one table from a backup.  What is the proper way to do this?
>
> Our backup command looks like this:
>
> pg_dump -C -Fc -S postgresql mydatabase > today.backup.sqlc
>
> I am using PostgreSQL 8.1.

You have read this page, right:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/app-pgrestore.html

Re:[GENERAL] restoring one table?

From
Tom Tom
Date:
Brian Maguire wrote:
> We need to restore one table from a backup.  What is the proper way to do this?
>
> Our backup command looks like this:
>
> pg_dump -C -Fc -S postgresql mydatabase > today.backup.sqlc
>
> I am using PostgreSQL 8.1.

Use the switch --table=NAME of pg_restore, i.e. something like this:

pg_restore -C -F c S postgresql -d mydatabase --table=your_table -v today.backup.sqlc

Tomas

Re: Postgres 8.3.x installation on Fedora 9 system

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
On Thu, 2008-08-07 at 17:56 -0400, Jack Orenstein wrote:

> Can't find them. They aren't on postgresql.org (e.g.
> http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v8.3.3/linux/rpms/fedora/fedora-9-i386/),
> and apparently not on pgdg-83-fedora.repo.

pgdg-83-fedora.repo uses http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org as the source --not
our FTP site and its mirrors.

Anyway, I am currently uploading Fedora-9 packages to
ftp.postgresql.org. It will appear in the FTP site in a few hours.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ
                   http://www.gunduz.org

Attachment

Date:
On Thu, 2008-08-07 at 17:24 -0400, Jack Orenstein wrote:
> Using pgdg-83-fedora.repo, yum  finds two RPMs,
> postgresql-8.3.3-1PGDG.f9.i386 and
> postgresql-libs-8.3.3-1PGDG.f9.i386.

Uh... Use yum search postgresql :)

sudo yum search postgresql|wc -l