Hello,

            I installed postgresql on my sytem,I need to parse an xml file.When I am working on xpath() it is showing an error that function is notfound and i tried almost all xml functions in postgresql but it is giving me the same result.why so ? should I have to install any xml library inorder to avoid this?Please tell me its very important for me.

Thanks,
Avin.

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 09:25 -0700, aravind chandu wrote:
> Hello,
>
>             I installed postgresql on my sytem,I need to parse an xml
> file.When I am working on xpath() it is showing an error that function
> is notfound and i tried almost all xml functions in postgresql but it
> is giving me the same result.why so ? should I have to install any xml
> library inorder to avoid this?Please tell me its very important for
> me.
>
> Thanks,
> Avin.

I fail to see how we can help if you don't provide the errors you are
getting.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

errors while working on xml functions in postgresql

From
aravind chandu

Hello,

            I installed postgresql on my sytem,I need to parse an xml file.When I am working on xpath() it is showing an error that function is notfound and i tried almost all xml functions in postgresql but it is giving me the same result.why so ? should I have to install any xml library inorder to avoid this?Please tell me its very important for me.

   these were the errors which i got
SELECT xpath('/my:a/text()', '<my:a xmlns:my="http://example.com">test</my:a>', ARRAY[ARRAY['my', 'http://example.com']]);
ERROR:  function xpath("unknown", "unknown", text[]) does not exist at character 8
HINT:  No function matches the given name and argument types. You may need to add explicit type casts.
STATEMENT:  SELECT xpath('/my:a/text()', '<my:a xmlns:my="http://example.com">test</my:a>', ARRAY[ARRAY['my', 'http://example.com']]);
ERROR:  function xpath("unknown", "unknown", text[]) does not exist
LINE 1: SELECT xpath('/my:a/text()', '<my:a xmlns:my="http://example...
               ^

On 28/07/2008 17:25, aravind chandu wrote:

>             I installed postgresql on my sytem,I need to parse an xml
> file.When I am working on xpath() it is showing an error that function
> is notfound and i tried almost all xml functions in postgresql but it is
> giving me the same result.why so ? should I have to install any xml
> library inorder to avoid this?Please tell me its very important for me.

A five-second scan of the docs reveals the following:

"Use of many of these functions requires the installation to have been
built with configure --with-libxml."[1]

Are you in a position to see whether this was done on your installation?

Ray.

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/functions-xml.html

rod@iol.ie

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 18:36 +0100, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
> On 28/07/2008 17:25, aravind chandu wrote:
>
> >             I installed postgresql on my sytem,I need to parse an xml
> > file.When I am working on xpath() it is showing an error that function
> > is notfound and i tried almost all xml functions in postgresql but it is
> > giving me the same result.why so ? should I have to install any xml
> > library inorder to avoid this?Please tell me its very important for me.
>
> A five-second scan of the docs reveals the following:
>
> "Use of many of these functions requires the installation to have been
> built with configure --with-libxml."[1]
>
> Are you in a position to see whether this was done on your installation?

Running pg_config will give him the info.

Joshua D. Drake

> Ray.
>
> [1] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/functions-xml.html

> Raymond O'Donnell, Director of Music, Galway Cathedral, Ireland
> rod@iol.ie
> Galway Cathedral Recitals: http://www.galwaycathedral.org/recitals

Re: errors while working on xml functions in postgresql

Date:
aravind chandu <avin_friends@yahoo.com> writes:
> I installed postgresql on my sytem,I need to parse an xml file.When I am
> working on xpath() it is showing an error that function is notfound and
> i tried almost all xml functions in postgresql but it is giving me the
> same result.why so ?

Are you reading a manual that corresponds to the PG version you're
using?

The xml functions are only in core as of 8.3; in prior versions they
were in a contrib module, which you'd need to build and install.
The contrib functions were a bit different in detail, too, which is
why you'd better consult the right manual.

> should I have to install any xml library inorder
> to avoid this?

No PG version is going to support any xml functionality without libxml2.

            regards, tom lane

Re: should i need to install xml library in postgresql inorder to work on xml file?

From
Stephane Bortzmeyer
Date:
On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 06:36:48PM +0100,
 Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie> wrote
 a message of 30 lines which said:

> Are you in a position to see whether this was done on your installation?

Side question: is there any way (SELECT * FROM
pg_compilation_options?) to retrieve this information from an already
installed PostgreSQL?  I scanned the documentation for more than five
seconds and found nothing.

(On my Debian, I've read the source of the Debian package, there must
be a better way.)

Re: should i need to install xml library in postgresql inorder to work on xml file?

From
Stephane Bortzmeyer
Date:
On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 06:47:43PM +0100,
 Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr> wrote
 a message of 19 lines which said:

> Side question: is there any way (SELECT * FROM
> pg_compilation_options?) to retrieve this information from an already
> installed PostgreSQL?  I scanned the documentation for more than five
> seconds and found nothing.

OK, found.

% pg_config
BINDIR = /usr/lib/postgresql/8.3/bin
DOCDIR = /usr/share/doc/postgresql-doc-8.3
INCLUDEDIR = /usr/include/postgresql
PKGINCLUDEDIR = /usr/include/postgresql
INCLUDEDIR-SERVER = /usr/include/postgresql/8.3/server
LIBDIR = /usr/lib
PKGLIBDIR = /usr/lib/postgresql/8.3/lib
LOCALEDIR = /usr/share/locale
MANDIR = /usr/share/postgresql/8.3/man
SHAREDIR = /usr/share/postgresql/8.3
SYSCONFDIR = /etc/postgresql-common
PGXS = /usr/lib/postgresql/8.3/lib/pgxs/src/makefiles/pgxs.mk
CONFIGURE = '--build=i486-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr' '--includedir=/usr/include' '--mandir=/usr/share/man'
'--infodir=/usr/share/info''--sysconfdir=/etc' '--localstatedir=/var' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib/postgresql-8.3'
'--disable-maintainer-mode''--disable-dependency-tracking' '--srcdir=.' '--mandir=/usr/share/postgresql/8.3/man'
'--with-docdir=/usr/share/doc/postgresql-doc-8.3''--sysconfdir=/etc/postgresql-common'
'--datadir=/usr/share/postgresql/8.3''--bindir=/usr/lib/postgresql/8.3/bin' '--includedir=/usr/include/postgresql/'
'--enable-nls''--enable-integer-datetimes' '--enable-thread-safety' '--enable-debug' '--disable-rpath' '--with-tcl'
'--with-perl''--with-python' '--with-pam' '--with-krb5' '--with-gssapi' '--with-openssl' '--with-libxml'
'--with-libxslt''--with-ldap' '--with-ossp-uuid' '--with-gnu-ld' '--with-tclconfig=/usr/lib/tcl8.4'
'--with-tkconfig=/usr/lib/tk8.4''--with-includes=/usr/include/tcl8.4' '--with-system-tzdata=/usr/share/zoneinfo'
'--with-pgport=5432''CFLAGS=-g -O2 -g -Wall -O2 -fPIC' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,--as-needed' 'CC=cc'
'CPPFLAGS=''build_alias=i486-linux-gnu'
CC = cc
CPPFLAGS = -D_GNU_SOURCE -I/usr/include/libxml2 -I/usr/include/tcl8.4
CFLAGS = -g -O2 -g -Wall -O2 -fPIC -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wdeclaration-after-statement
-Wendif-labels-fno-strict-aliasing -fwrapv -g
CFLAGS_SL = -fpic
LDFLAGS = -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,--as-needed
LDFLAGS_SL =
LIBS = -lpgport -lxslt -lxml2 -lpam -lssl -lcrypto -lkrb5 -lcom_err -lgssapi_krb5 -lz -lreadline -lcrypt -ldl -lm
VERSION = PostgreSQL 8.3.3

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 06:47:43PM +0100, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> Side question: is there any way (SELECT * FROM
> pg_compilation_options?) to retrieve this information from an already
> installed PostgreSQL?  I scanned the documentation for more than five

pg_config.  I think it may be in a separate package on Debian.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@commandprompt.com
+1 503 667 4564 x104
http://www.commandprompt.com/