Pg booth staffing at OSCON

From
gabrielle
Date:
OSCON is fast approaching - just one more week!

I need some people to help out with booth staffing for Thursday. Sign up here:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Oscon_2008_signup

Staffing the booth is a ton o' fun and a great way to meet people!

Thank you!

gabrielle

PS: Michael - what kind of balloons should I provide for you? :)
--
PDXPUG: http://pugs.postgresql.org/pdx

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Pg booth staffing at OSCON

From
"Michael Alan Brewer"
Date:
On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 7:31 PM, gabrielle <gorthx@gmail.com> wrote:

> PS: Michael - what kind of balloons should I provide for you? :)

I'll be bringing my own, thanks.  ;)

Looking forward to seeing y'all at OSCON!  :)

---Michael Brewer
mbrewer@gmail.com

Re: [pdxpug] Pg booth staffing at OSCON

From
"Daniel Johnson"
Date:
On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 4:31 PM, gabrielle <gorthx@gmail.com> wrote:
> OSCON is fast approaching - just one more week!
>
> I need some people to help out with booth staffing for Thursday. Sign up here:
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Oscon_2008_signup
>
> Staffing the booth is a ton o' fun and a great way to meet people!

So what info will you need to get us on the exhibitor list?

I'm starting a new job this week, but they said I can get the OSCON
days off so I can fill in the booth for many of the empty spots.  I
don't want to do the booth during the keynotes (and what would be the
point anyways no one will be in the exhibitor hall), and I'd kinda
like to schedule it around when things of interest are happening in
OSCAMP, but who knows what that schedule will be until the conference
actually starts.

Re: [pdxpug] Pg booth staffing at OSCON

From
"Ewan, Michael"

I'm wondering how much of the conference we have access to with an
exhibitor badge?  Obviously not tutorials, but what about regular
technical sessions?

Date:
> I'm wondering how much of the conference we have access to with an
> exhibitor badge?  Obviously not tutorials, but what about regular
> technical sessions?

You get into the exhibit hall when it is closed to regular attendees.
You get lunch.  I'm not sure that there are any perks beyond that.

--
teknotus
Take Notice

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] [pdxpug] Pg booth staffing at OSCON

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Daniel,

> I'm starting a new job this week, but they said I can get the OSCON
> days off so I can fill in the booth for many of the empty spots.  I
> don't want to do the booth during the keynotes (and what would be the
> point anyways no one will be in the exhibitor hall), and I'd kinda
> like to schedule it around when things of interest are happening in
> OSCAMP, but who knows what that schedule will be until the conference
> actually starts.

Well, you can obviously get into OSCAMP and FOSSCoach and the BOFs and the
other free events.  Not that I'd be promoting such a thing (as an OSCON
committee member), but if there's *a* specific session you want to attend,
you can probably persuade one of the several PostgreSQL speakers to loan you
their badge.

If you want a full pass, I have access to substantial discount codes, although
you already missed the early bird discount.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Date:
> Well, you can obviously get into OSCAMP and FOSSCoach and the BOFs and the
> other free events.  Not that I'd be promoting such a thing (as an OSCON
> committee member), but if there's *a* specific session you want to attend,
> you can probably persuade one of the several PostgreSQL speakers to loan you
> their badge.

No offense, but in the years that I have been going to OSCON I've
never had anywhere near enough money to buy a real pass to OSCON.
Every year it has been volunteering for a booth, or attending OSCAMP.
Last year I was able to afford Ubuntu Live through one of the more
extreme discount codes, but that is it.  There are lots of people who
participate as much as they can by way of volunteering, and I am one
of them.  We help make the conference happen so please treat us with
respect even if we can't afford to pay are way in.

As a committee members you are technically a volunteer with a free
pass yourself!

I would have really loved to attend as a regular conference goer, but
that just isn't financially possible for me.  I almost got one this
year because a friend on the committee can't come this year, but
apparently committee passes aren't transferable.

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] [pdxpug] Pg booth staffing at OSCON

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Daniel,

 > We help make the conference happen so please treat us with
> respect even if we can't afford to pay are way in.

Huh?  How was I disrespectful?  Because I suggested discounts?

> As a committee members you are technically a volunteer with a free
> pass yourself!

Well, I actually have a free pass because I'm a speaker.  Presumably you
could also get one as a volunteer in other areas like working the
speaker room -- I don't know where ORA uses volunteers.

The vendor booths are seen as benefitting the vendor (or open source
project) and not as benefitting O'Reilly.  Remember that ORA doesn't
charge for access to the Exhibit Hall.

So, if there are specific sessions you want to get into, you can
probably manage it, but not I nor Selena nor Gabrielle have access to
any full conference passes.

> I would have really loved to attend as a regular conference goer, but
> that just isn't financially possible for me.

Nor is it for a lot of people.  For whatever reason O'Reilly chose the
route years ago of having a lot of free and heavily discounted passes
for open source luminaries, and charging a lot to the *minority* of
attendees who can pay.  You can argue whether or not this financial
model was a good idea, but it's pretty well established now.

--Josh

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] [pdxpug] Pg booth staffing at OSCON

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Tuesday 15 July 2008 10:42:07 Daniel Johnson wrote:
> > Well, you can obviously get into OSCAMP and FOSSCoach and the BOFs and
> > the other free events.  Not that I'd be promoting such a thing (as an
> > OSCON committee member), but if there's *a* specific session you want to
> > attend, you can probably persuade one of the several PostgreSQL speakers
> > to loan you their badge.
>
> No offense, but in the years that I have been going to OSCON I've
> never had anywhere near enough money to buy a real pass to OSCON.
> Every year it has been volunteering for a booth, or attending OSCAMP.
> Last year I was able to afford Ubuntu Live through one of the more
> extreme discount codes, but that is it.  There are lots of people who
> participate as much as they can by way of volunteering, and I am one
> of them.  We help make the conference happen so please treat us with
> respect even if we can't afford to pay are way in.

I can't imagine how you could have taken Josh's post to be anything but
courteous and respectful, but I do encourage you to join us at the BOF where
we can settle it once and for all.... sumo suits anyone?
http://www.maineventweb.com/page/page/2916926.htm

--
Robert Treat

Date:
> I can't imagine how you could have taken Josh's post to be anything but
> courteous and respectful, but I do encourage you to join us at the BOF where
> we can settle it once and for all.... sumo suits anyone?
> http://www.maineventweb.com/page/page/2916926.htm

I'm going to blame the stress of starting a new job this morning that
involves oracle.  /me shudders...

And now I see that commandprompt has posted a postgres job this
afternoon.  D'oh!

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] [pdxpug] Pg booth staffing at OSCON

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Daniel Johnson wrote:
>> I can't imagine how you could have taken Josh's post to be anything but
>> courteous and respectful, but I do encourage you to join us at the BOF where
>> we can settle it once and for all.... sumo suits anyone?
>> http://www.maineventweb.com/page/page/2916926.htm
>
> I'm going to blame the stress of starting a new job this morning that
> involves oracle.  /me shudders...
>
> And now I see that commandprompt has posted a postgres job this
> afternoon.  D'oh!

And we watch these lists :P

Joshua D. Drake

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] [pdxpug] Pg booth staffing at OSCON

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Daniel,

> And now I see that commandprompt has posted a postgres job this
> afternoon.  D'oh!

Heh, should have asked.  There's generally lots of PostgreSQL work available,
although some of it does require relocation ...

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL