Problem with windows Postgres 8.3.1 MSI binary distribution

From
"Peter Geoghegan"
Date:
Hello,

I have a problem with the windows Postgres 8.3.1 MSI binary
distribution. When I attempt to install postgres 8.3.1
with postgres automatically creating its own user account, the
installer complains:

"Service 'PostgreSQL Database Server 8.3'(pgsql-8.3) failed to start.
Verify that you have sufficient priveleges to start system services."

This, despite the fact that 4 postgres.exe processes are now visible
in task manager, running as the just created postgres user. I believe
that the installer creates accounts with the ability to log on as a
service, and to log on locally, so this shouldn't be a problem.
Besides, I've manually ensured that the account has these privelege in
"Local Security Settings", and the account I run
PGinstaller is an administrative account.

This is a new user account, not one from a previous postgres install.
I deleted all the older ones in the well hidden "Local Users and
Groups" dialog.

What should I do to prevent this messagebox from appearing, which
forces me to roll back the installation?

Regards,
Peter

Re: Problem with windows Postgres 8.3.1 MSI binary distribution

From
Syra.Didelez@agfa.com

Is the secondary logon service running on your system ?

- Syra Didelez -
Apogee Portal Deployment Manager
Apogee Portal Hotfix Manager
Agfa-Gevaert N.V.

Tel.: +32 3 444 4237
http://www.agfa.com

"Peter Geoghegan" <peter.geoghegan86@gmail.com>
Sent by: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org

04/09/2008 04:34 PM

pgsql-general@postgresql.org
cc
Subject
[GENERAL] Problem with windows Postgres 8.3.1 MSI binary distribution

[...]

Date:
Syra,

Is it not on by default?
Regards,
Peter

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 3:55 PM,  <Syra.Didelez@agfa.com> wrote:

> Is the secondary logon service running on your system ?
>
>  - Syra Didelez -
>  Apogee Portal Deployment Manager
>  Apogee Portal Hotfix Manager
>  Agfa-Gevaert N.V.
>
>  Tel.: +32 3 444 4237
>  http://www.agfa.com
>

>  "Peter Geoghegan" <peter.geoghegan86@gmail.com>
> Sent by: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org
>
> 04/09/2008 04:34 PM
>
> To pgsql-general@postgresql.org
>
> cc
>
> Subject [GENERAL] Problem with windows Postgres 8.3.1 MSI binary
> distribution
>

> Hello,
>
>  I have a problem with the windows Postgres 8.3.1 MSI binary
>  distribution. When I attempt to install postgres 8.3.1
>  with postgres automatically creating its own user account, the
>  installer complains:
>
>  "Service 'PostgreSQL Database Server 8.3'(pgsql-8.3) failed to start.
>  Verify that you have sufficient priveleges to start system services."
>
>  This, despite the fact that 4 postgres.exe processes are now visible
>  in task manager, running as the just created postgres user. I believe
>  that the installer creates accounts with the ability to log on as a
>  service, and to log on locally, so this shouldn't be a problem.
>  Besides, I've manually ensured that the account has these privelege in
>  "Local Security Settings", and the account I run
>  PGinstaller is an administrative account.
>
>  This is a new user account, not one from a previous postgres install.
>  I deleted all the older ones in the well hidden "Local Users and
>  Groups" dialog.
>
>  What should I do to prevent this messagebox from appearing, which
>  forces me to roll back the installation?
>
>  Regards,
>  Peter
>
>  --

Re: Problem with windows Postgres 8.3.1 MSI binary distribution

From
Syra.Didelez@agfa.com

No, it is not, there are always the 'smart' sys admins who block everything everywhere ...

- Syra Didelez -
Apogee Portal Deployment Manager
Apogee Portal Hotfix Manager
Agfa-Gevaert N.V.

Tel.: +32 3 444 4237
http://www.agfa.com

Re: Problem with windows Postgres 8.3.1 MSI binary distribution

From
"Peter Geoghegan"
Date:
Syra,

It is my machine, and I have exclusive access to it. I cannot think of
why it would be disabled. I'm trying to figure out how to verify that
it is running. I found a Korean blog post that discusses the problem,
but the google translate isn't great:

http://www.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fentireboy.egloos.com%2F3677148&langpair=ko%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF8

Anyone speak Korean?
Regards,
Peter

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 4:09 PM,  <Syra.Didelez@agfa.com> wrote:

> No, it is not, there are always the 'smart' sys admins who block everything
> everywhere ...
>

>  - Syra Didelez -
>  Apogee Portal Deployment Manager
>  Apogee Portal Hotfix Manager
>  Agfa-Gevaert N.V.
>
>  Tel.: +32 3 444 4237
>  http://www.agfa.com

Re: Problem with windows Postgres 8.3.1 MSI binary distribution

From
"Peter Geoghegan"
Date:
Syra,

I can confirm that secondary logon appears as enabled under
"Services". I guess that narrows down the problem...

Regards,
Peter

Re: Problem with windows Postgres 8.3.1 MSI binary distribution

From
Syra.Didelez@agfa.com

You can find it out by goign to Computer Management -> Services and Applications -> Services
there's a list with all the services running on your system.

If you must check that out programmatically, see if there is any svchost.exe process running,
start with the -k netsvcs option.

Good Luck !

I have a question for you: Are you trying to run a silent install ?

- Syra Didelez -
Apogee Portal Deployment Manager
Apogee Portal Hotfix Manager
Agfa-Gevaert N.V.

Tel.: +32 3 444 4237
http://www.agfa.com

Re: Problem with windows Postgres 8.3.1 MSI binary distribution

From
Syra.Didelez@agfa.com

Is it also running, being enabled only is not enough,
if that's not it, I'm afraid I can't help you

- Syra Didelez -
Apogee Portal Deployment Manager
Apogee Portal Hotfix Manager
Agfa-Gevaert N.V.

Tel.: +32 3 444 4237
http://www.agfa.com

Re: Problem with windows Postgres 8.3.1 MSI binary distribution

From
"Peter Geoghegan"
Date:
Syra,

Yes, the svchost.exe process is running. Back to the drawing board....

Regards,
Peter

Re: Problem with windows Postgres 8.3.1 MSI binary distribution

From
"Peter Geoghegan"
Date:
Syra,

No, I'm not running a silent install.

Regards,
Peter

Re: Problem with windows Postgres 8.3.1 MSI binary distribution

From
"Martin Gainty"
Date:
Thanks Syra
I do not see netsvcs or svchost command...are these commands specific to Vista?

Bedankt
Martin-
You can find it out by goign to Computer Management -> Services and Applications -> Services
there's a list with all the services running on your system.

If you must check that out programmatically, see if there is any svchost.exe process running,
start with the -k netsvcs option.

Good Luck !

I have a question for you: Are you trying to run a silent install ?

- Syra Didelez -
Apogee Portal Deployment Manager
Apogee Portal Hotfix Manager
Agfa-Gevaert N.V.

Tel.: +32 3 444 4237
http://www.agfa.com

Re: Problem with windows Postgres 8.3.1 MSI binary distribution

From
Syra.Didelez@agfa.com

No, at least not that I know
you can start the secondary logon service from command line with:

net start seclogon

- Syra Didelez -
Apogee Portal Deployment Manager
Apogee Portal Hotfix Manager
Agfa-Gevaert N.V.

Tel.: +32 3 444 4237
http://www.agfa.com

"Martin Gainty" <mgainty@hotmail.com>
Sent by: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org

04/09/2008 05:32 PM

Syra Didelez/AWVJR/AGFA@AGFA
cc
<pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
Subject
Re: [GENERAL] Problem with windows Postgres 8.3.1 MSI binary distribution

[...]

Date:
If I get the install to the point where it prompts me "Service
'PostgreSQL Database Server 8.3'(pgsql-8.3) failed to start.
Verify that you have sufficient priveleges to start system services",
I can connect to the database with pgAdmin III without any apparent
issues. So....if you close the installer forcibly at this point it
will be ok, or at least appear as such to a cursory inspection.

It's a hack, but it'll do me for the time being,
Regards,
Peter