plperlu and perl 5.10

From
Kev
Date:
I'm trying to upgrade to perl 5.10, and realized that plperlu is still
using 5.8.  How exactly does pgsql determine where to look/what
version to use for plperlu?

Thanks,
Kev

Re: plperlu and perl 5.10

Date:
Kev <kevinjamesfield@gmail.com> writes:
> I'm trying to upgrade to perl 5.10, and realized that plperlu is still
> using 5.8.  How exactly does pgsql determine where to look/what
> version to use for plperlu?

You need to recompile.  You also need a pretty darn recent release of PG
(we only fixed things for 5.10 on 2008-01-22, according to the CVS
history).

            regards, tom lane

Re: plperlu and perl 5.10

From
Kev
Date:
On Apr 7, 10:37 am, t...@sss.pgh.pa.us (Tom Lane) wrote:
> Kev <kevinjamesfi...@gmail.com> writes:
> > I'm trying to upgrade to perl 5.10, and realized that plperlu is still
> > using 5.8.  How exactly does pgsql determine where to look/what
> > version to use for plperlu?
>
> You need to recompile.  You also need a pretty darn recent release of PG
> (we only fixed things for 5.10 on 2008-01-22, according to the CVS
> history).

Recompile PG?  Even if I'm running 8.3.1, released well after that?

Thanks,
Kev

Re: plperlu and perl 5.10

From
Kev
Date:
> Recompile PG?  Even if I'm running 8.3.1, released well after that?
>
> Thanks,
> Kev

Oh, sorry, do you mean, it's ready for 5.10 but still compiled with
5.8 for now?  If so, is there a timeline for compiling with 5.10 by
default in the production releases of pgsql?

Thanks,
Kev

Re: plperlu and perl 5.10

From
Alvaro Herrera
Kev escribió:
> > Recompile PG?  Even if I'm running 8.3.1, released well after that?
>
> Oh, sorry, do you mean, it's ready for 5.10 but still compiled with
> 5.8 for now?  If so, is there a timeline for compiling with 5.10 by
> default in the production releases of pgsql?

You should request that to your package provider.

Re: plperlu and perl 5.10

From
Richard Huxton
Kev wrote:
>> Recompile PG?  Even if I'm running 8.3.1, released well after that?
>
> Oh, sorry, do you mean, it's ready for 5.10 but still compiled with
> 5.8 for now?  If so, is there a timeline for compiling with 5.10 by
> default in the production releases of pgsql?

Like Alvaro says, that will be down to the package provider.

I'm prepared to bet good money though that it will co-incide with
whenever they ship Perl 5.10 with your system.

Think about it - how happy would you have been with a plperl that
*didn't* work with your default version of Perl? :-)

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: plperlu and perl 5.10

From
Kev
Date:
On Apr 8, 11:48 am, d...@archonet.com (Richard Huxton) wrote:
> Kev wrote:
> >> Recompile PG?  Even if I'm running 8.3.1, released well after that?
>
> > Oh, sorry, do you mean, it's ready for 5.10 but still compiled with
> > 5.8 for now?  If so, is there a timeline for compiling with 5.10 by
> > default in the production releases of pgsql?
>
> Like Alvaro says, that will be down to the package provider.
>
> I'm prepared to bet good money though that it will co-incide with
> whenever they ship Perl 5.10 with your system.
>
> Think about it - how happy would you have been with a plperl that
> *didn't* work with your default version of Perl? :-)

The day Microsoft starts shipping Perl with Windows...hmm...  ;)

Sorry, I probably should've mentioned the platform I have to use,
somewhere.

Kev

Re: plperlu and perl 5.10

From
Kev
Date:
On Apr 8, 11:08 am, alvhe...@commandprompt.com (Alvaro Herrera) wrote:
> Kev escribió:
>
> > > Recompile PG?  Even if I'm running 8.3.1, released well after that?
>
> > Oh, sorry, do you mean, it's ready for 5.10 but still compiled with
> > 5.8 for now?  If so, is there a timeline for compiling with 5.10 by
> > default in the production releases of pgsql?
>
> You should request that to your package provider.

Would that be Dave Page?  (I went to the win32 binary readme, was that
the right place to find out?)

Thanks,
Kev