8.3.0 upgrade

From
"Adam Rich"
Date:
I just finished upgrading my production DB to 8.3.0.  Everything went
smoothly, but I thought of a few questions.

After the upgrade, while restoring my backup to the new version,
I got this error message:

ERROR:  role "postgres" already exists

I assume this is nothing to be concerned about.  But is there something
I could have done to avoid this error?  (I think I followed the upgrade
instructions to the letter).  Is there any scenario where the "postgres"
role wouldn't exist? (should pg_dumpall exclude it?)

Moving on...  In step 6 of the upgrade instructions, it says:

"Restore your previous pg_hba.conf and any postgresql.conf modifications."

Perhaps this should also mention pg_ident.conf since I restored the
two mentioned files, but still couldn't connect.  The third completely
escaped my mind until I ran a "diff" on the old & new data directories.

Next, one of my apps failed because of a dependency on libpq.so.4.
During previous upgrades, I remedied that by installing this package:

compat-postgresql-libs-4-2PGDG.rhel4

But it seems under the 8.3.0 binary downloads, this package is no longer
available.  The only compat package is "compat-postgresql-libs-3"
which of course includes only libpq.so.3 so I had to browse older
releases to find the missing version which I thought seemed a little odd.
Am I missing something?

Finally, regarding the new "HOT" feature.  The release notes say that
benefits are realized "if no changes are made to indexed columns".
If my updates include *all columns* (the SQL is generated dynamically)
but the new value matches the old value for all *indexed* columns,
do I still reap the benefits of HOT?

Thanks!

Adam

Re: 8.3.0 upgrade

From
"Pavan Deolasee"
Date:
On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:43 PM, Adam Rich <adam.r@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>  Finally, regarding the new "HOT" feature.  The release notes say that
>  benefits are realized "if no changes are made to indexed columns".
>  If my updates include *all columns* (the SQL is generated dynamically)
>  but the new value matches the old value for all *indexed* columns,
>  do I still reap the benefits of HOT?

Yes. At the execution time, a binary comparison of old and new index
column values is performed and if the old and new value is same for
all index columns, HOT update is feasible. So even if the UPDATE statement
sets  value to one of the index columns, HOT update is possible as
long as the old and the new value is same.

Thanks,
Pavan

--
Pavan Deolasee

Re: 8.3.0 upgrade

From
"Adam Rich"

Thanks to Pavan for the answer regarding HOT.  Does anybody have an
answer regarding the postgres role or compat lib ?

>     * From: "Adam Rich" <adam(dot)r(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>
>     * To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
>     * Subject: 8.3.0 upgrade
>     * Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 02:13:55 -0500
>

> I just finished upgrading my production DB to 8.3.0.  Everything went
> smoothly, but I thought of a few questions.
>
> After the upgrade, while restoring my backup to the new version,
> I got this error message:
>
> ERROR:  role "postgres" already exists
>
> I assume this is nothing to be concerned about.  But is there something
> I could have done to avoid this error?  (I think I followed the upgrade
> instructions to the letter).  Is there any scenario where the "postgres"
> role wouldn't exist? (should pg_dumpall exclude it?)
>
> Moving on...  In step 6 of the upgrade instructions, it says:
>
> "Restore your previous pg_hba.conf and any postgresql.conf modifications."
>
> Perhaps this should also mention pg_ident.conf since I restored the
> two mentioned files, but still couldn't connect.  The third completely
> escaped my mind until I ran a "diff" on the old & new data directories.
>
> Next, one of my apps failed because of a dependency on libpq.so.4.
> During previous upgrades, I remedied that by installing this package:
>
> compat-postgresql-libs-4-2PGDG.rhel4
>
> But it seems under the 8.3.0 binary downloads, this package is no longer
> available.  The only compat package is "compat-postgresql-libs-3"
> which of course includes only libpq.so.3 so I had to browse older
> releases to find the missing version which I thought seemed a little odd.

> Am I missing something?
>
> Finally, regarding the new "HOT" feature.  The release notes say that
> benefits are realized "if no changes are made to indexed columns".
> If my updates include *all columns* (the SQL is generated dynamically)
> but the new value matches the old value for all *indexed* columns,
> do I still reap the benefits of HOT?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Adam

Re: 8.3.0 upgrade

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
Hi,

On Mon, 2008-03-17 at 21:26 -0500, Adam Rich wrote:
>  Next, one of my apps failed because of a dependency on libpq.so.4.
>  During previous upgrades, I remedied that by installing this package:
>
>  compat-postgresql-libs-4-2PGDG.rhel4
>
> But it seems under the 8.3.0 binary downloads, this package is no
> longer available.  The only compat package is
> "compat-postgresql-libs-3"  which of course includes only libpq.so.3
> so I had to browse older  releases to find the missing version which I
> thought seemed a little odd.

Pick your OS/Arch from this list, and click to it:

http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org/rpmchart.php

Then click to "C" at the top, and download the compat package.

Also, you can use that repository, so that it will take care of the
dependencies:

http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org/howtoyum.php

Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE

Re: 8.3.0 upgrade

From
"Adam Rich"
Date:
> Pick your OS/Arch from this list, and click to it:
>
> http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org/rpmchart.php
>
> Then click to "C" at the top, and download the compat package.

Devrim,
I clicked on my OS (RHEL/CentOS 4 - x86) Then on "C" as you said,
But the RPM list still only contains the compat-postgresql-libs-3-2
package, when I'm looking for compat-postgresql-libs-4-2

Any other ideas?

Re: 8.3.0 upgrade

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
Hi,

On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 14:13 -0500, Adam Rich wrote:
> I clicked on my OS (RHEL/CentOS 4 - x86) Then on "C" as you said,
> But the RPM list still only contains the compat-postgresql-libs-3-2
> package, when I'm looking for compat-postgresql-libs-4-2

No, you need compat-3, not compat-4. For example:

[root@koji-centos4-i386-pg83 ~]# yum install php-pgsql
<snip>
--> Processing Dependency: libpq.so.3 for package: php-pgsql

Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE

Re: 8.3.0 upgrade

From
"Adam Rich"
Date:
> No, you need compat-3, not compat-4. For example:
>
> [root@koji-centos4-i386-pg83 ~]# yum install php-pgsql <snip>
> --> Processing Dependency: libpq.so.3 for package: php-pgsql

I have applications that depend on libpq.so.4

Where do I get that, if not compat-postgresql-libs-4-2 ??

Re: 8.3.0 upgrade

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
Hi,

On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 14:37 -0500, Adam Rich wrote:
> I have applications that depend on libpq.so.4
>
> Where do I get that, if not compat-postgresql-libs-4-2 ??

I'll send you instructions for how to build custom compat package.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE