citext in windows.

From
"Tim Uckun"
Date:
I just downloaded postgres 8.3 for windows and noticed that citext is
not an option for columns.

The web site has the source code but no binaries for windows.

I downloaded the enterprisedb and noticed that it has the citext.dll
in the lib directory so I copied the dll over to the postgres lib
directory and tried to run the sql to install the type buy no joy.
Postgres complains it can't load the DLL. I triple checked it and it's
in the proper place.

What do I have to do in order to get citext to work on windows?

BTW I just asked on the IRC channel and people suggested I use tolower
or similar tactics. This is just not possible for me. In this case I
really need a case insensitive text field.

Thanks.

Re: citext in windows.

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 11:11:52AM +1300, Tim Uckun wrote:
> I just downloaded postgres 8.3 for windows and noticed that citext is
> not an option for columns.
>
> The web site has the source code but no binaries for windows.

That is something you need to talk to the citext creators about. Ideally,
they shold provide a stackbuilder compatible binary download for windows.

> I downloaded the enterprisedb and noticed that it has the citext.dll
> in the lib directory so I copied the dll over to the postgres lib
> directory and tried to run the sql to install the type buy no joy.
> Postgres complains it can't load the DLL. I triple checked it and it's
> in the proper place.

EnterpriseDB is a different product from PostgreSQL. There may be some
moduels that work in both, but don't count on it. For one thing  I think
the latest EDB is based on 8.2, not 8.3. But there could be a lot of other
reasons as well. If you want a module to load in PostgreSQL, it has to be a
PostgreSQL module.

> What do I have to do in order to get citext to work on windows?

I think you need to talk to the citext people. Unless somebody else has
already made a package available somewhere?

//Magnus