Windows x64 Port

From
Willem Buitendyk
Date:
Is there any plan to port Postgresql to windows x64?  I can currently
run Postgresql as 32 bit inside Vista 64 - would I see better
performance if Postgresql was running under 64 bit.  My biggest concern
is memory - at 32 bit is not Postgresql limited to 4GB in windows?

Thanks,

Willem

Re: Windows x64 Port

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Willem Buitendyk wrote:
> Is there any plan to port Postgresql to windows x64?  I can currently
> run Postgresql as 32 bit inside Vista 64 - would I see better
> performance if Postgresql was running under 64 bit.  My biggest concern
> is memory - at 32 bit is not Postgresql limited to 4GB in windows?

It's something we hope will be worked on for 8.4, but there are no firm
plans.

It's limited to 2Gb, actually, but *per process*. Since each backend is
it's own process, you can use way more than 2Gb RAM on a 64-bit system.
You can't use it for shared memory, but you can use it for local backend
memory (work_mem). But you'll need a lot of backends to do it, and you
will see other pieces of performance get worse with loads of backend.

Oh, and your RAM will still be used for disk cache, since that's managed
by the kernel.

//Magnus

Re: Windows x64 Port

From
Andrei Kovalevski
Date:
Hello,

Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Willem Buitendyk wrote:
>
>> Is there any plan to port Postgresql to windows x64?  I can currently
>> run Postgresql as 32 bit inside Vista 64 - would I see better
>> performance if Postgresql was running under 64 bit.  My biggest concern
>> is memory - at 32 bit is not Postgresql limited to 4GB in windows?
>>

> It's something we hope will be worked on for 8.4, but there are no firm
> plans.
>
> It's limited to 2Gb, actually, but *per process*. Since each backend is
> it's own process, you can use way more than 2Gb RAM on a 64-bit system.
> You can't use it for shared memory, but you can use it for local backend
> memory (work_mem). But you'll need a lot of backends to do it, and you
> will see other pieces of performance get worse with loads of backend.
>
> Oh, and your RAM will still be used for disk cache, since that's managed
> by the kernel.

I'm wondering - what kind of problems do you expect with such port? By
the way, are there any benchmark results to compare 32 and 64 bit
version on Linux?

Thanks,
Andrei.

Re: Windows x64 Port

From
Willem Buitendyk
Date:
Thanks Magnus.  Looking forward to 8.4, but I gather that will be some
time coming.

Willem