Re: Windows x64 Port - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Windows x64 Port
Date
Re: Windows x64 Port  (Willem Buitendyk <willem@pcfish.ca>)
List pgsql-general
Willem Buitendyk wrote:
> Is there any plan to port Postgresql to windows x64?  I can currently
> run Postgresql as 32 bit inside Vista 64 - would I see better
> performance if Postgresql was running under 64 bit.  My biggest concern
> is memory - at 32 bit is not Postgresql limited to 4GB in windows?

It's something we hope will be worked on for 8.4, but there are no firm
plans.

It's limited to 2Gb, actually, but *per process*. Since each backend is
it's own process, you can use way more than 2Gb RAM on a 64-bit system.
You can't use it for shared memory, but you can use it for local backend
memory (work_mem). But you'll need a lot of backends to do it, and you
will see other pieces of performance get worse with loads of backend.

Oh, and your RAM will still be used for disk cache, since that's managed
by the kernel.

//Magnus