Re : Abbreviation list

From
Laurent ROCHE
Date:
Yep, having a list would be good !

To answer your question, DDL is not a PG (here is another one) abbreviation but a database abbreviation.
It stands for Data Definition Language ... and basically that means SQL orders to manage objects (CREATE, DROP, ALTER) see Wikipedia for more info.

No idea what GUC is, though !

Have fun,
L@u
The Computing Froggy

----- Message d'origine ----
De : Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>
À : Steve Crawford <scrawford@pinpointresearch.com>
Cc : pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Envoyé le : Jeudi, 18 Octobre 2007, 21h10mn 47s
Objet : Re: [GENERAL] Abbreviation list

Steve Crawford wrote:
> Is there a comprehensive (or semi-comprehensive) on-line list of
> commonly used PG-related abbreviations used in PostgreSQL documentation,
> mail-lists, etc.? If there is not, would such a list make a reasonable
> one-page addition to the PG manual?

I don't think we have one, but IMHO it would be an excellent idea.  We
do have some abbreviations, e.g. HOT, TOAST, WAL are the ones that
jump immediately to mind (besides the ones you mentioned).

--
Alvaro Herrera                  http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/5ZYLFMCVHXC
"Granting software the freedom to evolve guarantees only different results,

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Re : Abbreviation list

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 18/10/2007 22:26, Laurent ROCHE wrote:

> No idea what GUC is, though !

Grand Unified Contraption? ;-)

Ray (who's just been reading Jules Verne).

rod@iol.ie

Re: Re : Abbreviation list

From
Steve Crawford
Date:
Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
> On 18/10/2007 22:26, Laurent ROCHE wrote:
>
>> No idea what GUC is, though !
>
> Grand Unified Contraption? ;-)
>
> Ray (who's just been reading Jules Verne).

It's Global User Configuration. But the confusion does point out the
need for a reference.

-Steve

Re: Re : Abbreviation list

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Steve Crawford wrote:
> Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
> > On 18/10/2007 22:26, Laurent ROCHE wrote:
> >
> >> No idea what GUC is, though !
> >
> > Grand Unified Contraption? ;-)
> >
> > Ray (who's just been reading Jules Verne).
>
> It's Global User Configuration. But the confusion does point out the
> need for a reference.

I think it is Grand Unified Configuration actually ... what does Verne
use?  I don't know the reference.

--
Alvaro Herrera                        http://www.advogato.org/person/alvherre
"We are who we choose to be", sang the goldfinch

Re: Re : Abbreviation list

Date:
> Steve Crawford wrote:
>>
>> It's Global User Configuration. But the confusion does point out the
>> need for a reference.

> I think it is Grand Unified Configuration actually ...

Alvaro remembers correctly.  Peter invented the term when he proposed
replacing a bunch of ad-hoc configuration thingies with one mechanism:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2000-03/msg00107.php

If you don't remember how things worked before that, be glad ;-)

            regards, tom lane

Re: Re : Abbreviation list

From
Steve Crawford
Date:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Steve Crawford wrote:
>> Raymond O'Donnell wrote:

>>> Grand Unified Contraption? ;-)
>>>
>>> Ray (who's just been reading Jules Verne).
>> It's Global User Configuration. But the confusion does point out the
>> need for a reference.
>
> I think it is Grand Unified Configuration actually ... what does Verne
> use?  I don't know the reference.

I knew someone would correct any errors. I searched high and low and
stopped when I saw the first reasonable sounding explanation:
http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/Tidbits/annotated_conf_e.html

Searching Google'"Global User Configuration" postgresql guc' yields 700
results. Altering that to "Grand Unified Configuration" yields 1,570.
Confusion apparently abounds.

Cheers,
Steve