Re : Abbreviation list - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Laurent ROCHE
Subject Re : Abbreviation list
Date
List pgsql-general
Yep, having a list would be good !

To answer your question, DDL is not a PG (here is another one) abbreviation but a database abbreviation.
It stands for Data Definition Language ... and basically that means SQL orders to manage objects (CREATE, DROP, ALTER) see Wikipedia for more info.

No idea what GUC is, though !

Have fun,
L@u
The Computing Froggy

----- Message d'origine ----
De : Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>
À : Steve Crawford <scrawford@pinpointresearch.com>
Cc : pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Envoyé le : Jeudi, 18 Octobre 2007, 21h10mn 47s
Objet : Re: [GENERAL] Abbreviation list

Steve Crawford wrote:
> Is there a comprehensive (or semi-comprehensive) on-line list of
> commonly used PG-related abbreviations used in PostgreSQL documentation,
> mail-lists, etc.? If there is not, would such a list make a reasonable
> one-page addition to the PG manual?

I don't think we have one, but IMHO it would be an excellent idea.  We
do have some abbreviations, e.g. HOT, TOAST, WAL are the ones that
jump immediately to mind (besides the ones you mentioned).

--
Alvaro Herrera                  http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/5ZYLFMCVHXC
"Granting software the freedom to evolve guarantees only different results,

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend