downloading and installing postgreSQL

From
"Ken Johansson"
Date:
Im installing the latest software (postgresql-8.2.5-1-binaries-no-installer.....) on windows xp but i dont know what file to click to install  - this seems very ambiguous.  Can anyone help?

--
Ken

Re: downloading and installing postgreSQL

From
Guy Rouillier
Date:
Ken Johansson wrote:
> Im installing the latest software (
> postgresql-8.2.5-1-binaries-no-installer.....) on windows xp but i dont know
> what file to click to install  - this seems very ambiguous.  Can anyone
> help?

You don't mention platform, but Win32 is the only one with a
no-installer binary, so I guess we can assume you are installing on some
approved version of Windows.  Why did you elect a no-installer version?
  The regular version comes with an installer and is very easy to
install.  I see the following note on the download page:

"postgresql-8.2.5-1-binaries-no-installer.zip is a zip of the PostgreSQL
installation directory. It does not include any of the bundled apps or
drivers and is intended for expert users only!"

It's a zip file, you just unzip it where you want it installed.  But
since you don't know what to do with it, I'd suggest you go with
postgresql-8.2.5-1.zip instead.  Unzip in a temporary directory, read
the README file, then double click the MSI file (or just type the name
at a command prompt if you use that.)

--
Guy Rouillier

Re: downloading and installing postgreSQL

From
"Trevor Talbot"
Date:
On 10/17/07, Ken Johansson <kjohansson@alumni.sfu.ca> wrote:

> Im installing the latest software
> (postgresql-8.2.5-1-binaries-no-installer.....) on windows
> xp but i dont know what file to click to install  - this seems very
> ambiguous.  Can anyone help?

You want to get postgresql-8.2.5-1.zip instead.

Re: downloading and installing postgreSQL

From
"Ken Johansson"
Date:
Great, thanks.

Is this the appropriate place to ask those types of support questions?  Well, any type of support questions?

thanks

Ken

               http://archives.postgresql.org/

--
Ken

Re: downloading and installing postgreSQL

From
Erik Jones
Date:
On Oct 17, 2007, at 4:28 PM, Ken Johansson wrote:

> On 17/10/2007, Guy Rouillier <guyr-ml1@burntmail.com> wrote: Ken
> Johansson wrote:
> > Im installing the latest software (
> > postgresql-8.2.5-1-binaries-no-installer.... .) on windows xp but
> i dont know
> > what file to click to install  - this seems very ambiguous.  Can
> anyone
> > help?
>
> You don't mention platform, but Win32 is the only one with a
> no-installer binary, so I guess we can assume you are installing on
> some
> approved version of Windows.  Why did you elect a no-installer
> version?
> The regular version comes with an installer and is very easy to
> install.  I see the following note on the download page:
>
> "postgresql-8.2.5-1-binaries-no-installer.zip is a zip of the
> PostgreSQL
> installation directory. It does not include any of the bundled apps or
> drivers and is intended for expert users only!"
>
> It's a zip file, you just unzip it where you want it installed.  But
> since you don't know what to do with it, I'd suggest you go with
> postgresql-8.2.5-1.zip instead.  Unzip in a temporary directory, read
> the README file, then double click the MSI file (or just type the name
> at a command prompt if you use that.)

> Great, thanks.
>
> Is this the appropriate place to ask those types of support
> questions?  Well, any type of support questions?
>
> thanks
>
> Ken

Those "types" yes.  Other "types" may have more specific mailing
lists (jdbc, sql, etc...).  However, none of the Postgres lists are
appropriate places for top-posting (I moved your response to the
bottom).

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma®
erik@myemma.com