Re: downloading and installing postgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Erik Jones
Subject Re: downloading and installing postgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Oct 17, 2007, at 4:28 PM, Ken Johansson wrote:

> On 17/10/2007, Guy Rouillier <guyr-ml1@burntmail.com> wrote: Ken
> Johansson wrote:
> > Im installing the latest software (
> > postgresql-8.2.5-1-binaries-no-installer.... .) on windows xp but
> i dont know
> > what file to click to install  - this seems very ambiguous.  Can
> anyone
> > help?
>
> You don't mention platform, but Win32 is the only one with a
> no-installer binary, so I guess we can assume you are installing on
> some
> approved version of Windows.  Why did you elect a no-installer
> version?
> The regular version comes with an installer and is very easy to
> install.  I see the following note on the download page:
>
> "postgresql-8.2.5-1-binaries-no-installer.zip is a zip of the
> PostgreSQL
> installation directory. It does not include any of the bundled apps or
> drivers and is intended for expert users only!"
>
> It's a zip file, you just unzip it where you want it installed.  But
> since you don't know what to do with it, I'd suggest you go with
> postgresql-8.2.5-1.zip instead.  Unzip in a temporary directory, read
> the README file, then double click the MSI file (or just type the name
> at a command prompt if you use that.)

> Great, thanks.
>
> Is this the appropriate place to ask those types of support
> questions?  Well, any type of support questions?
>
> thanks
>
> Ken

Those "types" yes.  Other "types" may have more specific mailing
lists (jdbc, sql, etc...).  However, none of the Postgres lists are
appropriate places for top-posting (I moved your response to the
bottom).

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma®
erik@myemma.com