replicating to a stopped server

From
Joao Miguel Ferreira
Date:
Hello,

        I have a 'strange' situation:

        I need to make a replica copy of my database to a reduntant
        spare
        computer.

        The reduntant computer is not running postgres, but postgres is
        installed. The redundant computer is running in a special
        run-level (I'm
        talking Linux here) in which Pg is _not_ running.

        When the primary computer crashes the redundant one will be
        rebooted in
        'normal' mode and Postgres must be started with the databases
        from the
        replica.

        a) So... how do I replicate a database to a stopped postgres ?

        b) Is it safe just to copy the /var/lib/pg/* directories to the
        right
        place and let Pg boot on that ?

        c) I know the right tool for this should be 'pg_dump' but it
        needs a
        live postgres daemon running, in order to install the replica.
        Is this
        correct ?

        d) Is it viable to start postgres directlly from the dump ? by
        specifying the dump-file in the cmd line ?

        thx a lot
        joao

Re: replicating to a stopped server

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
Joao Miguel Ferreira wrote:
> Hello,
>
>         I have a 'strange' situation:
>
>         I need to make a replica copy of my database to a reduntant
>         spare
>         computer.
>
>         The reduntant computer is not running postgres, but postgres is
>         installed. The redundant computer is running in a special
>         run-level (I'm
>         talking Linux here) in which Pg is _not_ running.
>
>         When the primary computer crashes the redundant one will be
>         rebooted in
>         'normal' mode and Postgres must be started with the databases
>         from the
>         replica.

You could use WAL archiving, but you'll want a fairly regular
full-backup of PG's files otherwise the recovery could take a long time.
See Ch 23 of the manuals for details.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: replicating to a stopped server

From
Erik Jones
Date:
On Oct 12, 2007, at 1:59 PM, Richard Huxton wrote:

> Joao Miguel Ferreira wrote:
>> Hello,
>>                 I have a 'strange' situation:
>>                 I need to make a replica copy of my database to a
>> reduntant
>>         spare
>>         computer.
>>                 The reduntant computer is not running postgres,
>> but postgres is
>>         installed. The redundant computer is running in a special
>>         run-level (I'm
>>         talking Linux here) in which Pg is _not_ running.
>>                 When the primary computer crashes the redundant
>> one will be
>>         rebooted in
>>         'normal' mode and Postgres must be started with the databases
>>         from the
>>         replica.
>
> You could use WAL archiving, but you'll want a fairly regular full-
> backup of PG's files otherwise the recovery could take a long time.
> See Ch 23 of the manuals for details.

Are you restricted to keep that second server in that special run-
level?  If not, I'd consider using pg_standby with WAL archiving to
keep your failover server at most a handful of minutes behind.

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma®
erik@myemma.com
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888
615.292.0777 (fax)

Date:
On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 14:09 -0500, Erik Jones wrote:
> On Oct 12, 2007, at 1:59 PM, Richard Huxton wrote:
>
> > Joao Miguel Ferrei
> Are you restricted to keep that second server in that special run-
> level?  If not, I'd consider using pg_standby with WAL archiving to
> keep your failover server at most a handful of minutes behind.

Well, I can consider having Pg running in that special boot mode...

I'll check your suggestion.

THX to all.

jmf

> Erik Jones
>
> Software Developer | Emma®
> erik@myemma.com
> 800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888
> 615.292.0777 (fax)
>
> Emma helps organizations everywhere communicate & market in style.
> Visit us online at http://www.myemma.com

Re: replicating to a stopped server

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 19:59 +0100, Richard Huxton wrote:

> You could use WAL archiving, but you'll want a fairly regular
> full-backup of PG's files otherwise the recovery could take a long time.
> See Ch 23 of the manuals for details.

Restartable recovery avoids the need to re-sync from the primary as
often as was the case with 8.1 and prior.

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com