Re: replicating to a stopped server - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: replicating to a stopped server
Date
Re: replicating to a stopped server  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-general
Joao Miguel Ferreira wrote:
> Hello,
>
>         I have a 'strange' situation:
>
>         I need to make a replica copy of my database to a reduntant
>         spare
>         computer.
>
>         The reduntant computer is not running postgres, but postgres is
>         installed. The redundant computer is running in a special
>         run-level (I'm
>         talking Linux here) in which Pg is _not_ running.
>
>         When the primary computer crashes the redundant one will be
>         rebooted in
>         'normal' mode and Postgres must be started with the databases
>         from the
>         replica.

You could use WAL archiving, but you'll want a fairly regular
full-backup of PG's files otherwise the recovery could take a long time.
See Ch 23 of the manuals for details.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd