Re: Need advice on keeping backup database up to date - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Need advice on keeping backup database up to date
Date
List pgsql-general
Matthew Wilson wrote:
> I am trying to figure out how I can keep the postgresql database in the
> backup data center as up to date as possible.
>
> The ideal solution would keep the backup database updated in real time
> as the primary database changes.

What you are after is called "replication". There are a couple of paid
solutions out there and a few free options.

The "default" open-source replication system for PG is called Slony and
is trigger-based.
   http://www.slony.info/

Skype do their own replication, uses Python and I don't know much more
about it than that:
   http://pgfoundry.org/projects/skytools/

If you don't need to be quite so up-to-date and don't mind replicating
an entire cluster look at WAL archiving. See Ch 23 of the manuals (and
some other chapters). Note that this is only viable if both servers are
identical (so, both 32-bit Intel running Debian for example).

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd