Embedding code in Postgres source code

From
"Harpreet Dhaliwal"
Date:
Hi,

I have a stored procedure that gets called every now and then in my system. This stored procedure is an implementation of client socket code basically.

If somehow this stored procedure becomes a part of Postgres source code, would it really make any difference as far as performance and resource utilization of my system is concerned ?

Thanks,
Hapreet

Re: Embedding code in Postgres source code

From
"Pavel Stehule"
Date:
Hello

If your stored procedure is writen in C language, then storing it
inside PostgreSQL hasn't any benefit. There is only one difference ..
statement LOAD.

Regards
Pavel Stehule

2007/10/7, Harpreet Dhaliwal <harpreet.dhaliwal01@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I have a stored procedure that gets called every now and then in my system.
> This stored procedure is an implementation of client socket code basically.
>
> If somehow this stored procedure becomes a part of Postgres source code,
> would it really make any difference as far as performance and resource
> utilization of my system is concerned ?
>
> Thanks,
> Hapreet

Re: Embedding code in Postgres source code

From
"Harpreet Dhaliwal"
Date:
My stored procedure is in Perl. Does that really make any difference ?

Date:
2007/10/7, Harpreet Dhaliwal <harpreet.dhaliwal01@gmail.com>:
> My stored procedure is in Perl. Does that really make any difference ?

It depends. If you call external libraries you can be little bit
faster. You have to test it.

Pavel

> On 10/7/07, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com > wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > If your stored procedure is writen in C language, then storing it
> > inside PostgreSQL hasn't any benefit. There is only one difference ..
> > statement LOAD.
> >
> > Regards
> > Pavel Stehule
> >

> > 2007/10/7, Harpreet Dhaliwal <harpreet.dhaliwal01@gmail.com>:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have a stored procedure that gets called every now and then in my
> system.
> > > This stored procedure is an implementation of client socket code
> basically.
> > >
> > > If somehow this stored procedure becomes a part of Postgres source code,
> > > would it really make any difference as far as performance and resource
> > > utilization of my system is concerned ?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Hapreet

Re: Embedding code in Postgres source code

From
"Harpreet Dhaliwal"
Date:
Faster by calling external or internal libraries. my concept was calling libraries internal to the system would make it faster right ?

Date:
2007/10/7, Harpreet Dhaliwal <harpreet.dhaliwal01@gmail.com>:
> Faster by calling external or internal libraries. my concept was calling
> libraries internal to the system would make it faster right ?

I thing, so it's not true, because all libraries functions are
directly called. It is different than Microsoft Windows.

Pavel