COPY for .CSV files problem

From
pere roca
Date:
  Hi everybody,
  I want to enter a .CSV file using COPY comand and plpgsql. It enters
lat,lon and some data. In the CSV data there is no field (such as
"user_name" or current_time) that allow distinguish future queries for
different users (ex: select x,y from table where user_name=z; after entering
lat,lon I would like to update the_geom in  another table using the lat,lon
of ONLY this user).

  I could update this kind of data ("user_name") using php but next user
could not enter his data by COPY (it only lets fill the destination table if
ALL the fields are the same as the CSV or text file).
  So, I have a problem. I thought that may be I can reference/select data of
a SINGLE USER using parameters like default_time without need to insert this
data as a field in the table (otherwise, problems with COPY). Maybe can I
use catalog?

  Thanks in advance,
   Pere

Re: COPY for .CSV files problem

From
Jorge Godoy
Date:
On Monday 01 October 2007 05:20:52 pere roca wrote:
>   Hi everybody,
>   I want to enter a .CSV file using COPY comand and plpgsql. It enters
> lat,lon and some data. In the CSV data there is no field (such as
> "user_name" or current_time) that allow distinguish future queries for
> different users (ex: select x,y from table where user_name=z; after
> entering lat,lon I would like to update the_geom in  another table using
> the lat,lon of ONLY this user).
>
>   I could update this kind of data ("user_name") using php but next user
> could not enter his data by COPY (it only lets fill the destination table
> if ALL the fields are the same as the CSV or text file).
>   So, I have a problem. I thought that may be I can reference/select data
> of a SINGLE USER using parameters like default_time without need to insert
> this data as a field in the table (otherwise, problems with COPY). Maybe
> can I use catalog?

COPY won't allow you to process your data.  You either write something to
insert record by record or you change your data to include the needed
information before using COPY.

I would change the input file to include the user name.

--
Jorge Godoy      <jgodoy@gmail.com>