Database reverse engineering

From
Thorsten Kraus
Date:
Hello,

I am looking for a tool which is able to generate a database diagramm
including the relationships from an existing database schema. The only
tool I know for this purpose is the Clay database plugin for eclipse.
Are there any other tools which can help me?

Best regards,
Thorsten

Re: Database reverse engineering

From
"A. Kretschmer"
Date:
am  Sat, dem 08.09.2007, um 11:44:17 +0200 mailte Thorsten Kraus folgendes:
> Hello,
>
> I am looking for a tool which is able to generate a database diagramm
> including the relationships from an existing database schema. The only
> tool I know for this purpose is the Clay database plugin for eclipse.
> Are there any other tools which can help me?

Maybe this one:

postgresql-autodoc - utility to create system tables overview in HTML, DOT and XML

,----[  apt-cache show postgresql-autodoc  ]
|  This is a utility which will run through PostgreSQL system tables and returns
|  HTML, DOT, and 2 styles of XML which describes the database.
|  .
|  The HTML is human readable (via webbrowser). The first style of XML is actually
|  the fileformat of Dia, a UML diagram tool. The second type of XML is similar to
|  the HTML but in the Docbook 4 format. It enables you to mix in other docbook
|  documentation via the XREFs, generating PDFs, HTML, RTF, or other formatted
|  documents. Between these tools and JavaDoc with the appropriate XREFs,
|  documentation about a project can be generated quickly and be easily updatable
|  yet have a very professional look with some DSSSL work.
`----

Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer

Re: Database reverse engineering

From
"Merlin Moncure"
Date:
On 9/8/07, Thorsten Kraus <TK-Spam@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am looking for a tool which is able to generate a database diagramm
> including the relationships from an existing database schema. The only
> tool I know for this purpose is the Clay database plugin for eclipse.
> Are there any other tools which can help me?

toad database modeler and ems postgresql manager are both pretty good
(both commercial windows programs).  honestly, I think generated web
pages with hyperlinks is much more useful than an ERD.  so for free
tool I would start with autodoc, which is IMO pretty limited but a
good foundation for improvement perhaps?

merlin

Re: Database reverse engineering

From
RC Gobeille
Or this one:
http://schemaspy.sourceforge.net/

On Sep 8, 2007, at 4:43 AM, A. Kretschmer wrote:

> am  Sat, dem 08.09.2007, um 11:44:17 +0200 mailte Thorsten Kraus
> folgendes:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am looking for a tool which is able to generate a database diagramm
>> including the relationships from an existing database schema. The
>> only
>> tool I know for this purpose is the Clay database plugin for eclipse.
>> Are there any other tools which can help me?
>
> Maybe this one:
>
> postgresql-autodoc - utility to create system tables overview in
> HTML, DOT and XML
>

> ,----[  apt-cache show postgresql-autodoc  ]
> DOT and XML
> |  This is a utility which will run through PostgreSQL system
> tables and returns
> |  HTML, DOT, and 2 styles of XML which describes the database.
> |  .
> |  The HTML is human readable (via webbrowser). The first style of
> XML is actually
> |  the fileformat of Dia, a UML diagram tool. The second type of
> XML is similar to
> |  the HTML but in the Docbook 4 format. It enables you to mix in
> other docbook
> |  documentation via the XREFs, generating PDFs, HTML, RTF, or
> other formatted
> |  documents. Between these tools and JavaDoc with the appropriate
> XREFs,
> |  documentation about a project can be generated quickly and be
> easily updatable
> |  yet have a very professional look with some DSSSL work.
> `----
>
> Andreas
> --
> Andreas Kretschmer
> Kontakt:  Heynitz: 035242/47150,   D1: 0160/7141639 (mehr: -> Header)
> GnuPG-ID:   0x3FFF606C, privat 0x7F4584DA   http://wwwkeys.de.pgp.net
>
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------

Re: Database reverse engineering

From
Josh Trutwin
Date:
On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 11:44:17 +0200
Thorsten Kraus <TK-Spam@gmx.de> wrote:

> I am looking for a tool which is able to generate a database
> diagramm including the relationships from an existing database
> schema. The only tool I know for this purpose is the Clay database
> plugin for eclipse. Are there any other tools which can help me?

DbVisualizer: http://www.dbvis.com/products/dbvis/

Cross platform - free version available but licensed one ($150) is
much more feature rich.

Here's a sample I reverse engineered today - a subset of the schema,
which was nice to be able to do:

http://www.smcing.com/images/pb_schema.jpg

Josh

Re: Database reverse engineering

From
Ow Mun Heng
Date:
On Mon, 2007-09-10 at 13:00 -0600, RC Gobeille wrote:
> Or this one:
> http://schemaspy.sourceforge.net/

Can't seem to get it to connect to PG using the example.

java -jar schemaSpy_3.1.1.jar -t pgsql -u operator -p operator -o
test_db  -host localhost -db test_db
Using database properties:

[schemaSpy_3.1.1.jar]/net/sourceforge/schemaspy/dbTypes/pgsql.properties
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.postgresql.Driver

Failed to load driver 'org.postgresql.Driver' from: []
This entry doesn't point to a valid file/directory:
[/whereever/postgresql-8.0-312.jdbc3.jar]

Use -t [databaseType] to specify what drivers to use or modify
one of the .properties from the jar, put it on your file
system and point to it with -t [databasePropertiesFile].

For many people it's easiest to use the -cp option to directly specify
where the database drivers exist (usually in a .jar or .zip/.Z).
Note that the -cp option must be specified after schemaSpy_3.1.1.jar

Re: Database reverse engineering

From
Scott Ribe
Date:
Embarcadero's tools are quite nice, quite pricey, Windows only.

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@killerbytes.com

Re: Database reverse engineering

From
Paul Boddie
Date:
On 13 Sep, 06:12, Ow.Mun.H...@wdc.com (Ow Mun Heng) wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-09-10 at 13:00 -0600, RC Gobeille wrote:
> > Or this one:
> >http://schemaspy.sourceforge.net/
>
> Can't seem to get it to connect to PG using the example.
>
> java -jar schemaSpy_3.1.1.jar -t pgsql -u operator -p operator -o
> test_db  -host localhost -db test_db

As the end of the error message suggests, you might want to try
something like this:

java -jar schemaSpy_3.1.1.jar -cp postgresql-xxx.jar -t pgsql -u
operator -p operator -o test_db  -host localhost -db test_db

The argument for -cp needs to be the full path to the .jar file, and
must obviously use the real filename of that file itself. You may then
get complaints about not finding the schema: I had to specify "-s
public", I think.

Paul

Re: Database reverse engineering

From
MargaretGillon@chromalloy.com

I am trying to use postgresql-autodoc. The autodoc  finds all the Perl modules and compiles but when I go to /usr/local/bin and run postgresql_autodoc like this

postgresql_autodoc -f owl -d owl -u postgres --password='****'

I get a message that says

Use of uninitialized value in numeric lt (<) at /usr/local/bin/postgresql_autodoc line 246.
PostgerSQL 7.3 and later are supported at /usr/local/bin/postgresql_autodoc line 247.
Database handle destroyed without explicit disconnect.

This happens when I run the program as root or as super user postgres. The postgresql on my Redhat 9 system is 8.2.5 . The 7.3 was removed with an RPM uninstall several weeks ago. The perl is 5.8.8. I do not know Perl. I have seen this list discuss using postgresql_autodoc so any help from people who have used this program would be appreciated.

Please reply to me as well as the list as I am on the digest version. TIA.
*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Margaret Gillon, IS Dept., Chromalloy Los Angeles, ext. 297

This e-mail message and any attachment(s) are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain proprietary and/or confidential information which may be privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient(s), please contact the sender by reply email and destroy the original message and any copies of the message as well as any attachment(s) to the original message.

Re: Database reverse engineering

From
vladimir konrad
Date:
> I am trying to use postgresql-autodoc. The autodoc  finds all the Perl
> modules and compiles but when I go to /usr/local/bin and run
> postgresql_autodoc like this

I had a good luck with schema-spy (done in java)...

http://schemaspy.sourceforge.net/

Vlad

ps: the command I use is (all on one line):
java -jar ~/app/schemaspy/schemaSpy_3.1.1.jar -t
pgsql -cp /usr/share/java/postgresql-8.2-506.jdbc3.jar -host localhost -db
database_name -s public -u database_user -o doc/db

-cp     - the location of postgresql jdbc driver
-o      - output directory

The database_user does not need password for localhost connection to
postgresql on my system...