an other provokative question??

From
volunteer@spatiallink.org
Date:
Relational database pioneer says technology is obsolete
http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9034619

kindlt explain how??
sincerely
siva

Re: an other provokative question??

From
"Dann Corbit"
Date:

This bit is a hint:
"Column-oriented databases -- such as the one built by Stonebraker's
latest start-up, Andover, Mass.-based Vertica Systems Inc. -- store data
vertically in table columns rather than in successive rows."

Mr. Stonebraker's company sells column oriented databases.  So of course
the other methods must be "obsolete".

It actually is a good idea for some operations.  Database warehouses
seem to benefit from that storage scheme.  All of the database systems
that I know of that use this column-oriented scheme are in-memory
database systems.  I don't know if Mr. Stonebraker's is also.

There is at least one open source database that uses columns to store
the data:
http://monetdb.cwi.nl/

Re: an other provokative question??

From
Ron Mayer
Date:
Dann Corbit wrote:
> All of the database systems
> that I know of that use this column-oriented scheme are in-memory
> database systems.  I don't know if Mr. Stonebraker's is also.

KDB+ (http://kx.com/) is column-oriented and has both on-disk
and in-memory capabilities http://kx.com/faq/#6 .  It's around
since 1998 and both column and row oriented databases are still
around so I think it'd be more fair to say both are mature technologies.

Re: an other provokative question??

From
Chris Browne
Date:
volunteer@spatiallink.org writes:
> Relational database pioneer says technology is obsolete
> http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9034619
> kindlt explain how??

There are several spins relevant to this:

  1.  He's trying to sell His New Thing, and it certainly makes good
      copy to say "your old stuff is obsolete - buy our new stuff!"

  2.  There are problems with SQL which cause many to want something
      better.

      The thing is, SQL isn't forcibly particularly "relational;"
      there is a purist view which says that it definitely *isn't*.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RDBMS#Current_Usage

      They suggest that people interpret "relational" as implying:

         - System supports having collections of tables
         - System supports certain relational operators that work,
           in some contexts, on these tables.

      SQL provides that sort of thing, but is not as expressive as
      people would like.

      In effect, SQL has gotten hobbled so many ways over the years
      that people seem to find it easier to say "relational ==
      obsolete" than to try to explain that what they're trying to do
      is perhaps *more* faithful to the theoretical relational model
      than the existing products.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="linuxdatabases.info" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://cbbrowne.com/info/nonrdbms.html

Re: an other provokative question??

Date:
"Dann Corbit" <DCorbit@connx.com> writes:
>> Relational database pioneer says technology is obsolete
>> http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=3DviewArticleBasic&articleId=3D9034619

> This bit is a hint:
> "Column-oriented databases -- such as the one built by Stonebraker's
> latest start-up, Andover, Mass.-based Vertica Systems Inc. -- store data
> vertically in table columns rather than in successive rows."

> Mr. Stonebraker's company sells column oriented databases.  So of course
> the other methods must be "obsolete".

I don't see anything in there where Stonebraker says that relational DBs
are obsolete.  What he suggests is that column-oriented storage might
beat row-oriented storage for a lot of modern applications.  He might be
right (I'm sure not going to bet against the guy who started Postgres)
but this has not got anything to do with the concept of a relational
database.  It's an implementation detail --- maybe a pretty fundamental
one, but in principle you could build a DB either way and no user could
see a semantic difference.

Count on a reporter to overstate the argument ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: an other provokative question??

From
Erik Jones
Date:
On Sep 6, 2007, at 10:54 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit@connx.com> writes:
>>> Relational database pioneer says technology is obsolete
>>> http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?
>>> command=3DviewArticleBasic&articleId=3D9034619
>
>> This bit is a hint:
>> "Column-oriented databases -- such as the one built by Stonebraker's
>> latest start-up, Andover, Mass.-based Vertica Systems Inc. --
>> store data
>> vertically in table columns rather than in successive rows."
>
>> Mr. Stonebraker's company sells column oriented databases.  So of
>> course
>> the other methods must be "obsolete".
>
> I don't see anything in there where Stonebraker says that
> relational DBs
> are obsolete.  What he suggests is that column-oriented storage might
> beat row-oriented storage for a lot of modern applications.  He
> might be
> right (I'm sure not going to bet against the guy who started Postgres)
> but this has not got anything to do with the concept of a relational
> database.  It's an implementation detail --- maybe a pretty
> fundamental
> one, but in principle you could build a DB either way and no user
> could
> see a semantic difference.

I'm curious, given that Postgres wasn't even an SQL-centric database
when the original project ended, how much of the current Postgres
code base still contains code from the original project before the
incorporation of SQl rename to PostgreSQL?

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma®
erik@myemma.com
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888
615.292.0777 (fax)

Re: an other provokative question??

From
Ron Johnson
Date:

Re: an other provokative question??

Date:
Erik Jones <erik@myemma.com> writes:
> I'm curious, given that Postgres wasn't even an SQL-centric database
> when the original project ended, how much of the current Postgres
> code base still contains code from the original project before the
> incorporation of SQl rename to PostgreSQL?

You can still find a lot of code in the current CVS that has obvious
ancestry in Postgres v4r2.  I think there might not be too many lines
that have never been changed at all, but nobody who could read C would
have any problem detecting the relationship.

Elein might have more to say on the point... I'm just a newbie.

            regards, tom lane

Re: an other provokative question??

From
Greg Smith
Date:
On Fri, 7 Sep 2007, Ron Johnson wrote:

> Definitely a niche product.

Stonebraker's commentary was unfortunately spun by the ComputerWorld
columnist.  I hope people followed the link to his actual blog entry at
http://www.databasecolumn.com/2007/09/one-size-fits-all.html where his
arguement is that the idea of one database approach always being right
just isn't true anyway.  With that mindset, every technology is a niche
product of sorts; just the size of the niche varies.

Given past history of this project and its relation to Stonebraker, I was
tempted earlier today to suggest that the Postgres vs. PostgreSQL renaming
argument be dropped in favor of renaming the database "Horizontica".

Date:

Re: an other provokative question??

From
Scott Ribe
Date:
> Relational database pioneer says technology is obsolete

The headline is grossly misleading; the article is only somewhat less
misleading. The actual blog entry:

- Does not claim that relational databases per se are obsolete;

- Claims that the idea of a "single one size fits all" implementation of the
physical storage strategy for a relational db is obsolete;

- Does not claim that column-oriented storage is better for all use cases;

- Does claim that column-oriented is vastly superior for data warehouses;

- Further claims that for all use cases there exists some specialized
storage strategy that will perform better than the standard row-oriented
strategy.

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@killerbytes.com

Re: an other provokative question??

From
Guy Rouillier
Date:
Greg Smith wrote:
> the idea of one database approach always being right
> just isn't true anyway.

Or one software development approach or one application runtime approach
or ... .  One of the major contributions of the relational model
compared to the myriad network model implementations prevalent at the
time was that the relation model was a straightforward approach whose
theory was easily grasped and applied.  The model made *people* more
productive; certainly, network implementations could run circles around
the early relational implementations, so it didn't make database servers
more productive.

Any alternative DBMS approach would have to provide a similar level of
human productivity.  Given relational's staying power over the
intervening 25+ years (with many more people available to research
alternatives and much more available computing power), that appears to
be a significant challenge.

--
Guy Rouillier

Re: an other provokative question??

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: an other provokative question??

From
"Rodrigo De León"
Date:
On 9/7/07, Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com> wrote:
> ... renaming the database "Horizontica".

Following the naming convention, wouldn't it be "Horizonta"?

Re: an other provokative question??

From
"Scott Marlowe"
Date:
On 9/8/07, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg@turnstep.com> wrote:

> > Given past history of this project and its relation to
> > Stonebraker, I was tempted earlier today to suggest that
> > the Postgres vs. PostgreSQL renaming argument be dropped
> > in favor of renaming the database "Horizontica".
>
> That name could be confusing - what about the people out there
> who would be wondering if we'd support SQL or not? The name
> should definitely be "HorizonticaSQL"

Hey!  Some of us just figured out how to pronounce PostgreSQL properly.

Date:
Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
>> ...in favor of renaming the database "Horizontica".
>
> ...should definitely be "HorizonticaSQL"

Surely that should be capitalized "HorizonticASQL", no.

Date:
On 9/12/07, Ron Mayer <rm_pg@cheapcomplexdevices.com> wrote:
> Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> >> ...in favor of renaming the database "Horizontica".
> >
> > ...should definitely be "HorizonticaSQL"
>
> Surely that should be capitalized "HorizonticASQL", no.

I can just see it now.

I've been using Horizont and ....

followed by 100 messages of "It's HorizonticASQL or Horizontica, but
not horizont...

Re: an other provokative question??

From
"Andrej Ricnik-Bay"
Date:
On 9/9/07, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey!  Some of us just figured out how to pronounce PostgreSQL properly.
Postgreh SeeQuell??

/me ducks

--
Please don't top post, and don't use HTML e-Mail :}  Make your quotes concise.

Re: an other provokative question??

From
volunteer@spatiallink.org
Date:
howto check column than row??

create table horizontal (id integer, first varchar(8), last varchar(8));
insert into horizontal values ('1', 'Jack', 'Ja');
insert into horizontal values ('2', 'Jill', 'Ji');
insert into horizontal values ('3', 'Mary', 'Ma');
select * from horizontal where true;
+----+-------+-------+
| id | first | last  |
+----+-------+-------+
|  1 | Jack  | Ja |
|  2 | Jill  | Ji   |
|  3 | Mary   | Ma |
+----+-------+-------+
(3 rows)
#
create table vertical (id varchar(8), one varchar(8));
insert into vertical values ('first', 'Jack');
insert into vertical values ('last', 'Ja');
alter table vertical add column two varchar(8);
update vertical set two = 'Jill' where id = 'first';
update vertical set two = 'Ji' where id = 'last';
alter table vertical add column three varchar(8);
update vertical set three = 'Mary' where id = 'first';
update vertical set three = 'Ma' where id = 'last';
select * from vertical where true;
+-------+-------+------+-------+
|  id   |  one  | two  | three |
+-------+-------+------+-------+
| first | Jack  | Jill | Mary   |
| last  | Ja | Ji  | Ma |
+-------+-------+------+-------+
(2 rows)
#
select * from horizontal where last like 'J%' order by last;
| id | first | last  |
|  1 | Jack  | Ja |
|  2 | Jill  | Ji   |
(2 rows)