Partitioning

From
Julio Cesar Sánchez González
Date:
Hi guys,

It's natural what master table in the partitioning table contain data
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/ddl-partitioning.html) ?
or to be empty.

Thanks for all.

Julio Cesar Sánchez González
www.sistemasyconectividad.com.mx
blog: http://darkavngr.blogspot.com

---
Ahora me he convertido en la muerte, destructora de mundos.
Soy la Muerte que se lleva todo, la fuente de las cosas que vendran.

Re: Partitioning

From
"Josh Tolley"
Date:
On 8/18/07, Julio Cesar Sánchez González
<knowhow@sistemasyconectividad.com.mx> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> It's natural what master table in the partitioning table contain data
> (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/ddl-partitioning.html) ?
> or to be empty.

I'm no partitioning expert, but I would say most of the time the
parent table is supposed to be empty. That said, partitioning schemes
need to be developed based on what data you have and what exactly
you're trying to do. If you're using the common example of keeping a
bunch of historical data where partitions represent a distinct chunk
of time (for instance, one partition for every month of data) you
probably want to keep the parent table empty. Every row has a date,
and so there's a child table for each row naturally, so it doesn't
make sense to put anything in the parent tables. But I'm sure someone
can come up with a scheme where having data in the parent is also
useful.

- Josh

Re: Partitioning

From
Robert Gravsjö
Date:
Julio Cesar Sánchez González wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> It's natural what master table in the partitioning table contain data
> (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/ddl-partitioning.html) ?
> or to be empty.

Hi, the master table should be empty when doing partitioning.

Regards,
roppert