Re: Partitioning - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Josh Tolley
Subject Re: Partitioning
Date
List pgsql-general
On 8/18/07, Julio Cesar Sánchez González
<knowhow@sistemasyconectividad.com.mx> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> It's natural what master table in the partitioning table contain data
> (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/ddl-partitioning.html) ?
> or to be empty.

I'm no partitioning expert, but I would say most of the time the
parent table is supposed to be empty. That said, partitioning schemes
need to be developed based on what data you have and what exactly
you're trying to do. If you're using the common example of keeping a
bunch of historical data where partitions represent a distinct chunk
of time (for instance, one partition for every month of data) you
probably want to keep the parent table empty. Every row has a date,
and so there's a child table for each row naturally, so it doesn't
make sense to put anything in the parent tables. But I'm sure someone
can come up with a scheme where having data in the parent is also
useful.

- Josh