Postgres Printed Manuals

From
"Robert James"
Date:
The Postgres docs are great.  Unfortunatelty, at 1600 pages, my printer is a little weary.  Are bound & printed editions available?  If not, has anyone had any good experience printing them via any of the online services? (The ones I contacted said it was too big for them to print...)

Also: wouldn't it be a good way for the Postgres project to raise some money, by publishing and selling bound and printed versions? I believe MySQL has done that for years.  It would be a great service to some newcomers also: online is great for reference / lookup, but when I want to read the tutorials/internal docs/etc., there's a limit to how many pages I can read on the screen.

Re: Postgres Printed Manuals

Date:
"Robert James" <srobertjames@gmail.com> writes:
> Also: wouldn't it be a good way for the Postgres project to raise some
> money, by publishing and selling bound and printed versions?

It's hard to make any money that way :-(.  Rich Morin used to run a
business called "Prime Time Freeware" that published hardcopy versions
of our manuals along with much other open-source documentation.
He gave up on it some years ago, though, and I doubt that the market
has improved.

> I believe MySQL has done that for years.

MySQL's situation is a bit different, because they own their
documentation lock-stock-and-barrel and have never distributed it freely
(check the terms sometime, they're not very liberal).  Even so, I'll bet
they're not making any noticeable amount of money from selling hardcopy.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Postgres Printed Manuals

From
"Stuart Cooper"
Date:
> The Postgres docs are great.  Unfortunatelty, at 1600 pages, my printer is a
> little weary.  Are bound & printed editions available?  If not, has anyone
> had any good experience printing them via any of the online services? (The
> ones I contacted said it was too big for them to print...)

You're right, the page count is just unfeasible.
You could try mpage-ing it to 4 pages per sheet and print it out double-sided,
you would then have a smaller document that could be bound- the only problem
is the text would be so small to be virtually unreadable. I did this
with a Common
Lisp manual years ago and never refer to it for that reason.

A good compromise would be to invest in a PostgreSQL book
(best: PostgreSQL by Korry Douglas
also good: Practical PostgreSQL by Command Prompt,
PostgreSQL: Introduction and Concepts by Momjian)
and refer to the Postgres docs for the definitive reference.

Cheers,
Stuart.

Re: Postgres Printed Manuals

From
John Meyer
Date:
Robert James wrote:
> The Postgres docs are great.  Unfortunatelty, at 1600 pages, my
> printer is a little weary.  Are bound & printed editions available?
>  If not, has anyone had any good experience printing them via any of
> the online services? (The ones I contacted said it was too big for
> them to print...)

You do have a point, but remember: 1600 pages is 1600 pages, no matter
whether you, or somebody else prints them out.  That cost would have to
be translated out somewhere.  For instance, I have an old copy of Linux
Programming (2nd edition) that at the time was priced at $40.  I'd think
reprinting all of those pages would cost a little more.  And you also
have to ask if there is an audience for that in the first place.

I do understand wanting to have a printed manual.  In as good as ebooks
are, sometimes they don't compete with having the printed version in
front of you, so you are not constantly switching between screens.

What I would suggest is, rather than hoping somebody has the bankroll
for one LARGE document, somebody might take a close look at a PostgreSQL
Documentation Project to break down those 1600 pages into three or four
"manuals" that would be more reasonable to print one at a time.

--
The NCP Revue -- http://www.ncprevue.com/blog

Re: Postgres Printed Manuals

Date:
How much would it be to email the PDF manual to someone like Kinkos and
get it printed?  Effectively, that might be the cheepest solution
because it is print-on-demand.

John Meyer wrote:
> Robert James wrote:
> > The Postgres docs are great.  Unfortunatelty, at 1600 pages, my
> > printer is a little weary.  Are bound & printed editions available?
> >  If not, has anyone had any good experience printing them via any of
> > the online services? (The ones I contacted said it was too big for
> > them to print...)
>
> You do have a point, but remember: 1600 pages is 1600 pages, no matter
> whether you, or somebody else prints them out.  That cost would have to
> be translated out somewhere.  For instance, I have an old copy of Linux
> Programming (2nd edition) that at the time was priced at $40.  I'd think
> reprinting all of those pages would cost a little more.  And you also
> have to ask if there is an audience for that in the first place.
>
> I do understand wanting to have a printed manual.  In as good as ebooks
> are, sometimes they don't compete with having the printed version in
> front of you, so you are not constantly switching between screens.
>
> What I would suggest is, rather than hoping somebody has the bankroll
> for one LARGE document, somebody might take a close look at a PostgreSQL
> Documentation Project to break down those 1600 pages into three or four
> "manuals" that would be more reasonable to print one at a time.
>
> --
> The NCP Revue -- http://www.ncprevue.com/blog

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Postgres Printed Manuals

From
Rich Shepard
Date:
On Mon, 14 May 2007, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> How much would it be to email the PDF manual to someone like Kinkos and
> get it printed?  Effectively, that might be the cheepest solution because
> it is print-on-demand.

>> What I would suggest is, rather than hoping somebody has the bankroll for
>> one LARGE document, somebody might take a close look at a PostgreSQL
>> Documentation Project to break down those 1600 pages into three or four
>> "manuals" that would be more reasonable to print one at a time.

   Not only is Kinkos (or their competition) in business to do this type of
work, but you could have printed only the chapters you needed.

   The docs used to be separate: Language, Programming, Administration;
perhaps others that I've forgotten. Same number of pages, more binders. :-)

   I'm a great fan of dead-tree editions of books: I can read them in bed, on
a plane, while waiting for an appointment, etc. Sometimes I just print the
page or two that I need right then. OTOH, the digital form is a lot lighter
to carry on trips; it fits comfortably within my notebook computer.

Rich

Re: Postgres Printed Manuals

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Mon, 14 May 2007, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> >How much would it be to email the PDF manual to someone like Kinkos and
> >get it printed?  Effectively, that might be the cheepest solution because
> >it is print-on-demand.
>
> >>What I would suggest is, rather than hoping somebody has the bankroll for
> >>one LARGE document, somebody might take a close look at a PostgreSQL
> >>Documentation Project to break down those 1600 pages into three or four
> >>"manuals" that would be more reasonable to print one at a time.
>
>   Not only is Kinkos (or their competition) in business to do this type of
> work, but you could have printed only the chapters you needed.

Right.  Printing the hundreds of pages taken up by the release notes is
almost always a waste of paper, for example.  And unless you're a
beginner you're likely not to need the tutorial either.

Re: Postgres Printed Manuals

From
"Ian Harding"
Date:
On 5/14/07, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Rich Shepard wrote:
> > On Mon, 14 May 2007, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > >How much would it be to email the PDF manual to someone like Kinkos and
> > >get it printed?  Effectively, that might be the cheepest solution because
> > >it is print-on-demand.

Well, I didn't do that, but as an exercise I split the manual in 740
page chunks (maximum size at lulu), which misses the last couple
hundred pages (old release notes and index, mostly) and put them on
lulu.  It comes to $19.33 each volume for 2 volumes.

I agree that it would be great to have them split up a bit so they
could fit in normal sized books, but there it is, if you want a dead
tree version.  pdftk is an open source pdf breaker-upper I used for
this.

http://www.lulu.com/content/863723
http://www.lulu.com/content/864445

- Ian

Re: Postgres Printed Manuals

From
Vivek Khera
Date:
On May 13, 2007, at 10:43 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> It's hard to make any money that way :-(.  Rich Morin used to run a
> business called "Prime Time Freeware" that published hardcopy versions
> of our manuals along with much other open-source documentation.
> He gave up on it some years ago, though, and I doubt that the market
> has improved.

Seems like an ideal use of those print-on-demand services like
lulu.com among others.  The project could post an official PDF of the
docs, and take a cut every time someone ordered a printed copy.  The
question is who would take the time to make a professional looking PDF.

Re: Postgres Printed Manuals

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Date:
On Wed, 16 May 2007, Vivek Khera wrote:

> Seems like an ideal use of those print-on-demand services like lulu.com
> among others.  The project could post an official PDF of the docs, and
> take a cut every time someone ordered a printed copy.  The question is who
> would take the time to make a professional looking PDF.

   I have no idea how the docs are written, but using LaTeX (and the LyX GUI
front end) produces typeset output. The pdf is, literally, camera-ready.

Rich

Re: Postgres Printed Manuals

From
"Robert James"
Date:
Excellent!

Two questions:
1. Might it be better to include the index and TOC (in both volumes), and do something like this:
http://www.postgresql.org/files/documentation/pdf/8.2/postgresql-8.2.1-US.pdf
Vol I: 1-621, 1674-end
Vol II: 1-38, 622-1395, 1672-end
(Dropped some other things, I think...)

2. I'm not familiar with Lulu - can anyone set it up? If I would like to do one run of the manuals that way, can I?  If not, do you care to offer that break up as well?

+1 100% for having Postgres set this up and take a cut.