Postgres data/form entry tool

From
"David Potts"

Can any body recommend a generic opensource  data entry tool that can be
used to make some simple forms for entering data in to postgres?

Re: Postgres data/form entry tool

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
David Potts wrote:

> Can any body recommend a generic opensource  data entry tool that can be
> used to make some simple forms for entering data in to postgres?

For the web? *nix console? GTK? Mac?

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Date:
> David Potts wrote:

Any platform !

ie Web ,X, , L/Unix console, Mac or even Weandozz

Date:
David Potts wrote:
>> David Potts wrote:
>
> Any platform !
>
> ie Web ,X, , L/Unix console, Mac or even Weandozz

pgadmin, phppgadmin - although these are pitched more towards admin,
they let you edit table data.

There are also lots of commercial admin/data tools that will work with
PG - check the announcements list and website.

MS-Access can link to PG via the ODBC drivers if you're interested in
Windows.

If you're interested in something slightly more custom, look at
ruby-on-rails or one of the other custom web-building systems. They all
let you do basic data editing quite quickly.

There's also the gnuenterprise.org project which is supposed to be
web+gui, but I've never looked at it in detail.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: Postgres data/form entry tool

From
Kenneth Downs
Date:
If you want end-users to be doing the data entry, Andromeda may be what
you want.

http://www.andromeda-project.org/

The project is aimed at more complicated cases and may carry too much
overhead for what you want, but perhaps not.

--
Kenneth Downs
Secure Data Software, Inc.

Re: Postgres data/form entry tool

From
Tony Caduto
Date:
David Potts wrote:
> Can any body recommend a generic opensource  data entry tool that can be
> used to make some simple forms for entering data in to postgres?

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

For Desktop applications on win32

Lazarus :http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/

Delphi Turbo Explorer: http://www.turboexplorer.com  (use with ODBC or
Zeoslib http://www.zeoslib.net)

Sharp Develop:  http://www.icsharpcode.com  (use with npgsql .net data
provider)

For web based:

PHP and use NVU (http://www.nvu.com) to design the forms.

Netbeans IDE

There are probably many more

--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design

Re: Postgres data/form entry tool

From
Reid Thompson
Date:

http://www.gnome-db.org/

Re: Postgres data/form entry tool

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:

Glom (www.glom.org) would seem to fit the bill.

Re: Postgres data/form entry tool

From
Chris Browne
Date:
ken@secdat.com (Kenneth Downs) writes:
> If you want end-users to be doing the data entry, Andromeda may be
> what you want.
>
> http://www.andromeda-project.org/
>
> The project is aimed at more complicated cases and may carry too much
> overhead for what you want, but perhaps not.

Their choice of "something like CSS" (e.g. - the HTML 'cascading style
sheets' language) as the language for representing data models seems
bizarre to me, but their goal of making the whole thing declarative
seems mighty attractive.

Is anyone using this for interesting applications?
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "linuxfinances.info")
http://linuxfinances.info/info/nonrdbms.html

Re: Postgres data/form entry tool

From
Brent Wood
Date:
Richard Huxton wrote:
> David Potts wrote:
>>> David Potts wrote:
>>
>> Any platform !
>>
>> ie Web ,X, , L/Unix console, Mac or even Weandozz
>
> pgadmin, phppgadmin - although these are pitched more towards admin,
> they let you edit table data.

PGAccess provides a spreadsheet like view of tables which users can type
data into, & works pretty well, it
does not have the admin functionality of pgadmin, which might be a good
thing in your case.

Perhaps a simple PHP data entry form for a web based tool.

I haven't tried these, but they may also work OK (on a Linux/KDE platform):

knoda    http://www.knoda.org/
rekall    http://www.thekompany.com/projects/rekall/

Maybe someome who has actually tried these could comment?

Cheers,

  Brent Wood