Kill session in PostgreSQL

From
Ashish Karalkar
Date:
Hello all,
is there any command just like ORACLE Uses kill session to kill a particular session .
tried withh linux kill -9 PID but it also kills all other sessions or  am I just giving wrong signal to command kill?

Thanks in advance

With Regards
ashish

Re: Kill session in PostgreSQL

From
Martijn van Oosterhout
Date:
On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 01:01:30PM +0100, Ashish Karalkar wrote:
> Hello all,
>   is there any command just like ORACLE Uses kill session to kill a particular session .
>   tried withh linux kill -9 PID but it also kills all other sessions or  am I just giving wrong signal to command
kill?

Uhh, yeah. Kill -9 is bad. The documentation talks about signals but in
general you can use kill -INT to abort a query.

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Attachment

Re: Kill session in PostgreSQL

From
"Ardian Xharra"
is there any command just like ORACLE Uses kill session to kill a particular session .
tried withh linux kill -9 PID but it also kills all other sessions or  am I just giving wrong signal to command kill?

Thanks in advance

With Regards
ashish

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Re: Kill session in PostgreSQL

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Beware that this is not a supported method, though. It often works, but
don't make it a part of your regular maintenance.

What you can do is use pg_cancel_query() to kick the session back out to
IDLE - that's fully suported, and it will drop any locks the process has,
so it shuold get rid of most of your problem.

//Magnus