date format

From
Garry Saddington
Date:
I have 'datestyle ISO,DMY' set in postgresql.conf but the date output is still
rendered in the format (y,m,d) . How can I change this behaviour?
regards
garry

Re: date format

From
Jorge Godoy
Date:
Garry Saddington <garry@schoolteachers.co.uk> writes:

> I have 'datestyle ISO,DMY' set in postgresql.conf but the date output is still
> rendered in the format (y,m,d) . How can I change this behaviour?

ISO means y-m-d...

--
Jorge Godoy      <jgodoy@gmail.com>

Re: date format

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 04/03/2007 12:58, Jorge Godoy wrote:
> Garry Saddington <garry@schoolteachers.co.uk> writes:
>
>> I have 'datestyle ISO,DMY' set in postgresql.conf but the date output is still
>> rendered in the format (y,m,d) . How can I change this behaviour?
>
> ISO means y-m-d...

The default postgresql.conf that is installed has

       datestyle = iso,mdy

though commented out - on a new installation I uncomment this line as a
matter of course and change it to "iso,dmy" and it works fine.

Are you sure that PostgreSQL is presenting the dates in the wrong
format? Could there be another layer that's swapping the month and year
around? - try SELECTing some date values from psql and see what you get.

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: date format

From
Garry Saddington
Date:
On Sunday 04 March 2007 15:28, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
> On 04/03/2007 12:58, Jorge Godoy wrote:
> > Garry Saddington <garry@schoolteachers.co.uk> writes:
> >> I have 'datestyle ISO,DMY' set in postgresql.conf but the date output is
> >> still rendered in the format (y,m,d) . How can I change this behaviour?
> >
> > ISO means y-m-d...
>
> The default postgresql.conf that is installed has
>
>        datestyle = iso,mdy
>
> though commented out - on a new installation I uncomment this line as a
> matter of course and change it to "iso,dmy" and it works fine.
>
> Are you sure that PostgreSQL is presenting the dates in the wrong
> format? Could there be another layer that's swapping the month and year
> around? - try SELECTing some date values from psql and see what you get.

I tried pgAdmin3 on windows to run 'select now()'  and it still does not
return the correct datestyle.
Regards
Garry

Re: date format

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 04/03/2007 16:16, Garry Saddington wrote:

> I tried pgAdmin3 on windows to run 'select now()'  and it still does not
> return the correct datestyle.

Probably a silly question, but did you remember to restart the server
after changing the datestyle setting?

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: date format

From
Garry Saddington
Date:
On Sunday 04 March 2007 16:16, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
> On 04/03/2007 16:16, Garry Saddington wrote:
> > I tried pgAdmin3 on windows to run 'select now()'  and it still does not
> > return the correct datestyle.
>
> Probably a silly question, but did you remember to restart the server
> after changing the datestyle setting?
yes
regards
garry
> Ray.

> Raymond O'Donnell, Director of Music, Galway Cathedral, Ireland
> rod@iol.ie

Re: date format

From
Martijn van Oosterhout
Date:
On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 05:05:44PM +0000, Garry Saddington wrote:
> On Sunday 04 March 2007 16:16, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
> > On 04/03/2007 16:16, Garry Saddington wrote:
> > > I tried pgAdmin3 on windows to run 'select now()'  and it still does not
> > > return the correct datestyle.
> >
> > Probably a silly question, but did you remember to restart the server
> > after changing the datestyle setting?
> yes
> regards

Can you show us your exact output so we don't have to guess? I get
this:

# set datestyle=iso,dmy;
SET
# select now();
              now
-------------------------------
 2007-03-04 18:07:54.626267+01
(1 row)

Which is precisely what I expect.

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Attachment

Re: date format

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Garry Saddington wrote:
> I have 'datestyle ISO,DMY' set in postgresql.conf but the date output is still
> rendered in the format (y,m,d) . How can I change this behaviour?

Did you restart PostgreSQL after making the change? You can also set it
on the fly per session.

Joshua D. Drake

> regards
> garry

Re: date format

From
Garry Saddington
Date:
On Sunday 04 March 2007 17:09, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 05:05:44PM +0000, Garry Saddington wrote:
> > >
> > > Probably a silly question, but did you remember to restart the server
> > > after changing the datestyle setting?
> >
> > yes
> > regards
>
> Can you show us your exact output so we don't have to guess? I get
> this:
>
> # set datestyle=iso,dmy;
> SET
> # select now();
>               now
> -------------------------------
>  2007-03-04 18:07:54.626267+01
> (1 row)
>
> Which is precisely what I expect.
Which is precisely what I get, but I want  04-03-2007.
regards
Garry

Re: date format

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 04/03/2007 18:56, Garry Saddington wrote:
>> # select now();
>>               now
>> -------------------------------
>>  2007-03-04 18:07:54.626267+01
>> (1 row)
>>
>> Which is precisely what I expect.
> Which is precisely what I get, but I want  04-03-2007.

Ahh! Then you need to use to_char(). The datestyle setting in
postgresql.conf differentiates *only* between European and American date
formats - i.e. the relative order of day and month. It doesn't set the
exact output format.

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: date format

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 04/03/2007 19:26, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:

> Ahh! Then you need to use to_char(). The datestyle setting in

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/functions-formatting.html

rod@iol.ie

Re: date format

From
Tino Wildenhain
Date:
Garry Saddington schrieb:
> I have 'datestyle ISO,DMY' set in postgresql.conf but the date output is still
> rendered in the format (y,m,d) . How can I change this behaviour?
> regards
> garry

See my answer on the Zope list. The style however influences the way
dates are parsed by default, so you need to take care when you
feed dates from your application to database.
You should also use to_date() to make it explicit.

Regards
Tino

Re: date format

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Am Sonntag, 4. März 2007 17:16 schrieb Raymond O'Donnell:
> Probably a silly question, but did you remember to restart the server
> after changing the datestyle setting?

You don't need to do that.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: date format

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 4. März 2007 17:16 schrieb Raymond O'Donnell:
>
>> Probably a silly question, but did you remember to restart the server
>> after changing the datestyle setting?
>>

> You don't need to do that.

I didn't really explain my point here. You an use datestyle from a
session, or you can reload the server.
You do not need to *restart*. However, he didn't mention if he had done
any of that. He just said he set
it which doesn't really mean anything if he didn't change it from the
setting or reload the server.

Re: date format

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 05/03/2007 12:16, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> I didn't really explain my point here. You an use datestyle from a
> session, or you can reload the server. You do not need to *restart*.

Yes, that's what I was getting at as well - I was in a hurry at the time
and "restart" was the wrong word to use.

Ray.

rod@iol.ie