pg_dump problems

From
JTyrrell
Date:
Hi everyone,

I'm having problems using pg_dump.

When I run the command

pg_dump -a -d testrig > testrig.data

on a machine running postgresql 7.4.13 with database testirg i have no
problem.

Then, I want to do the same but on a different machine running postgresql
7.4.6 with database root. So...

pg_dump -a -d root > root.data

For some reason this doesnt work! The command is running without error, but
the file root.data is always empty. The database does exist and all the data
is there, and I can run psql and do everything I normally do. I've tried
pg_dump with other databases and still get an empty file.

Could it be the commands are different for the different versions? If thats
the case, does anyone know what command I should be running?

Re: pg_dump problems

From
Richard Huxton
JTyrrell wrote:

> pg_dump -a -d testrig > testrig.data
>
> on a machine running postgresql 7.4.13 with database testirg i have no
> problem.
>
> Then, I want to do the same but on a different machine running postgresql
> 7.4.6 with database root. So...
>
> pg_dump -a -d root > root.data
>
> For some reason this doesnt work! The command is running without error, but
> the file root.data is always empty. The database does exist and all the data
> is there, and I can run psql and do everything I normally do. I've tried
> pg_dump with other databases and still get an empty file.

Should work just fine.
1. Does "pg_dump -s" work?
2. Does the user you run this as have permission to dump data from "root"?

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: pg_dump problems

From
JTyrrell

Richard Huxton wrote:

> JTyrrell wrote:
>>
>> pg_dump -a -d testrig > testrig.data
>>
>> on a machine running postgresql 7.4.13 with database testirg i have no
>> problem.
>>
>> Then, I want to do the same but on a different machine running postgresql
>> 7.4.6 with database root. So...
>>
>> pg_dump -a -d root > root.data
>>
>> For some reason this doesnt work! The command is running without error,
>> but
>> the file root.data is always empty. The database does exist and all the
>> data
>> is there, and I can run psql and do everything I normally do. I've tried
>> pg_dump with other databases and still get an empty file.
>
> Should work just fine.
> 1. Does "pg_dump -s" work?
> 2. Does the user you run this as have permission to dump data from "root"?
>
> --
>    Richard Huxton
>    Archonet Ltd

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

1. pg_dump -s doesn't work. I've tried using a load of other options and
none at all but no luck.

2. I'm running as root so wont be a problem there, and the file im dumping
to has full permissions for everyone.

What makes this even more confusing is I tried pg_dump with a database name
that doesnt exist and tried dumping from database root with a user that
doesn't have permission to do that. Both gave the same results as before.
Its basically creating the file i need, looking for the database and not
finding it. When you dump an empty database the file at least has some info
on session authorization and the schema. Im getting nothing!

Re: pg_dump problems

Date:
JTyrrell <jtyrrell_@hotmail.com> writes:
> 1. pg_dump -s doesn't work. I've tried using a load of other options and
> none at all but no luck.

> 2. I'm running as root so wont be a problem there, and the file im dumping
> to has full permissions for everyone.

> What makes this even more confusing is I tried pg_dump with a database name
> that doesnt exist and tried dumping from database root with a user that
> doesn't have permission to do that. Both gave the same results as before.
> Its basically creating the file i need, looking for the database and not
> finding it. When you dump an empty database the file at least has some info
> on session authorization and the schema. Im getting nothing!

It's really hard to believe that pg_dump would write nothing to either
the output file or stderr.  The only thought that comes to mind is that
if this machine has SELinux enabled, the SELinux policy might be
forbidding it from writing on the output file.  What's the platform,
exactly?

            regards, tom lane

Re: pg_dump problems

From
JTyrrell

Im using Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4. Thing is it worked before christmas but
doesn't now. I've just moved the data across by hand so its not too much of
a problem anymore. Might need to use dump again though so would be nice to
get the problem fixed