Re: pg_dump problems - Mailing list pgsql-general

From JTyrrell
Subject Re: pg_dump problems
Date
List pgsql-general

Richard Huxton wrote:

> JTyrrell wrote:
>>
>> pg_dump -a -d testrig > testrig.data
>>
>> on a machine running postgresql 7.4.13 with database testirg i have no
>> problem.
>>
>> Then, I want to do the same but on a different machine running postgresql
>> 7.4.6 with database root. So...
>>
>> pg_dump -a -d root > root.data
>>
>> For some reason this doesnt work! The command is running without error,
>> but
>> the file root.data is always empty. The database does exist and all the
>> data
>> is there, and I can run psql and do everything I normally do. I've tried
>> pg_dump with other databases and still get an empty file.
>
> Should work just fine.
> 1. Does "pg_dump -s" work?
> 2. Does the user you run this as have permission to dump data from "root"?
>
> --
>    Richard Huxton
>    Archonet Ltd

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

1. pg_dump -s doesn't work. I've tried using a load of other options and
none at all but no luck.

2. I'm running as root so wont be a problem there, and the file im dumping
to has full permissions for everyone.

What makes this even more confusing is I tried pg_dump with a database name
that doesnt exist and tried dumping from database root with a user that
doesn't have permission to do that. Both gave the same results as before.
Its basically creating the file i need, looking for the database and not
finding it. When you dump an empty database the file at least has some info
on session authorization and the schema. Im getting nothing!