The meaning of the log levels seems unclear ...

From
Bill Moran
Date:
I just had a "huh?!" moment ... brought to you by the postgresql.conf file ...

#client_min_messages = notice           # Values, in order of decreasing detail:
                                        #   debug5
                                        #   debug4
                                        #   debug3
                                        #   debug2
                                        #   debug1
                                        #   log
                                        #   notice
                                        #   warning
                                        #   error

log_min_messages = log          # Values, in order of decreasing detail:
                                        #   debug5
                                        #   debug4
                                        #   debug3
                                        #   debug2
                                        #   debug1
                                        #   info
                                        #   notice
                                        #   warning
                                        #   error
                                        #   log
                                        #   fatal
                                        #   panic

Notice that the order is different between the two.  Apparently, log is more
verbose than notice for clients, but less verbose than notice for the log.

Are these correct?  Are there actually two different scales that work
differently?  If so, I need to reread some stuff ...

If these are correct, may I be so bold as to suggest that normalizing
these scales would be a worthwhile endeavor?

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

Re: The meaning of the log levels seems unclear ...

Date:
Bill Moran <wmoran@collaborativefusion.com> writes:
> Notice that the order is different between the two.  Apparently, log is more
> verbose than notice for clients, but less verbose than notice for the log.

Yup, that's intentional.  LOG-level messages are supposed to go to the
log but not to clients under the default settings, and this is the least
unclean way to allow that to happen.

            regards, tom lane

Date:

> Bill Moran <wmoran@collaborativefusion.com> writes:
> > Notice that the order is different between the two.  Apparently, log is more
> > verbose than notice for clients, but less verbose than notice for the log.
>
> Yup, that's intentional.  LOG-level messages are supposed to go to the
> log but not to clients under the default settings, and this is the least
> unclean way to allow that to happen.

Ahh ... on a whim, I took a look at elog.h, which actually has some pretty
good comments on this.

Thanks.