The meaning of the log levels seems unclear ... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bill Moran
Subject The meaning of the log levels seems unclear ...
Date
List pgsql-general
I just had a "huh?!" moment ... brought to you by the postgresql.conf file ...

#client_min_messages = notice           # Values, in order of decreasing detail:
                                        #   debug5
                                        #   debug4
                                        #   debug3
                                        #   debug2
                                        #   debug1
                                        #   log
                                        #   notice
                                        #   warning
                                        #   error

log_min_messages = log          # Values, in order of decreasing detail:
                                        #   debug5
                                        #   debug4
                                        #   debug3
                                        #   debug2
                                        #   debug1
                                        #   info
                                        #   notice
                                        #   warning
                                        #   error
                                        #   log
                                        #   fatal
                                        #   panic

Notice that the order is different between the two.  Apparently, log is more
verbose than notice for clients, but less verbose than notice for the log.

Are these correct?  Are there actually two different scales that work
differently?  If so, I need to reread some stuff ...

If these are correct, may I be so bold as to suggest that normalizing
these scales would be a worthwhile endeavor?

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.