TOAD-like query builder for PostgreSQL?

From
dananrg@yahoo.com
Date:
I really like TOAD for building Oracle queries. Is there a TOAD-like,
FOSS query builder for PostgreSQL?

Re: TOAD-like query builder for PostgreSQL?

Date:
dananrg@yahoo.com writes:
> I really like TOAD for building Oracle queries. Is there a TOAD-like,
> FOSS query builder for PostgreSQL?

A little googling suggests that TOAD works fine with Postgres ...
why don't you just use it, if that's what you're used to?

            regards, tom lane

Re: TOAD-like query builder for PostgreSQL?

From
"Shoaib Mir"
Date:
I guess TOAD uses OCI to interact with the database so there might be problems connecting TOAD with PostgreSQL...

A query builder that I have used in the past and works fine with PostgreSQL was "Active Query Builder Free Edition" (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Servers/Database-Utils/Active-Query-Builder-Free-Edition.shtml)

Thanks,
--------
Shoaib Mir
EnterpriseDB (www.enterprisedb.com)

I really like TOAD for building Oracle queries. Is there a TOAD-like,
FOSS query builder for PostgreSQL?

Re: TOAD-like query builder for PostgreSQL?

From
Marcus Engene
Date:
dananrg@yahoo.com skrev:
> I really like TOAD for building Oracle queries. Is there a TOAD-like,
> FOSS query builder for PostgreSQL?

Hi,

I use Toad for Oracle too.

pgAdminIII is included Postgres, its good but I prefer pg lightning
admin which I've been using daily for almost a year now. It's sold
for $10 at the moment.
http://amsoftwaredesign.com/

Author seems responsive; I made him add the AltGr-Return from toad
query editor ;-)

Best regards,
Marcus

Re: TOAD-like query builder for PostgreSQL?

From
Bjørn T Johansen
Date:
DbVisualizer works fine with PostgreSQL and also has a query builder....
http://www.dbvis.com/products/dbvis/

BTJ

On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 10:51:50 +0100
Marcus Engene <mengpg@engene.se> wrote:

> dananrg@yahoo.com skrev:
> > I really like TOAD for building Oracle queries. Is there a TOAD-like,
> > FOSS query builder for PostgreSQL?
>
> Hi,
>
> I use Toad for Oracle too.
>
> pgAdminIII is included Postgres, its good but I prefer pg lightning
> admin which I've been using daily for almost a year now. It's sold
> for $10 at the moment.
> http://amsoftwaredesign.com/
>
> Author seems responsive; I made him add the AltGr-Return from toad
> query editor ;-)
>
> Best regards,
> Marcus

>                http://archives.postgresql.org/

Re: TOAD-like query builder for PostgreSQL?

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Sat, 2006-12-09 at 13:19 +0500, Shoaib Mir wrote:
> I guess TOAD uses OCI to interact with the database so there might be
> problems connecting TOAD with PostgreSQL...

I've looked it up and can confirm what Tom said, TOAD works with
PostgreSQL, you just have to make sure you get the right version.

OTOH, if you want free, look at dia and tedia2sql.  It's not a bad
system, and can generate ddl for many different databases.

Date:
On 12/11/06, Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com> wrote:
>>I've looked it up and can confirm what Tom said, TOAD works with
>>PostgreSQL, you just have to make sure you get the right version.

Does that one uses ODBC for connection? If possible can you please tell me the version of TOAD to use with PostgreSQL

Thank you,
-----------
Shoaib Mir
EnterpriseDB (www.enterprisedb.com)

Re: TOAD-like query builder for PostgreSQL?

From
"Shoaib Mir"
Date:
Thanks Scott, just confirmed it from TOAD's review at http://www.pcsoftland.com/development-tools/databases/toad-for-sql-server.htm

"Plus the SQL editor will actually function with any ODBC database connection, thus it supports many other popular databases like Oracle, DB2, Informix, Ingres, Access, MySQL, Sybase, PostgreSQL, etc"

Regards,
-----------

On 12/11/06, Shoaib Mir <shoaibmir@gmail.com> wrote:
On 12/11/06, Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com> wrote:
>>I've looked it up and can confirm what Tom said, TOAD works with
>>PostgreSQL, you just have to make sure you get the right version.

Does that one uses ODBC for connection? If possible can you please tell me the version of TOAD to use with PostgreSQL

Thank you,
-----------
Shoaib Mir
EnterpriseDB (www.enterprisedb.com)

Re: TOAD-like query builder for PostgreSQL?

From
Tony Caduto
Date:
Shoaib Mir wrote:
> Thanks Scott, just confirmed it from TOAD's review at
> http://www.pcsoftland.com/development-tools/databases/toad-for-sql-server.htm
>

> "Plus the SQL editor will actually function with any ODBC database
> connection, thus it supports many other popular databases like Oracle,
> DB2, Informix, Ingres, Access, MySQL, Sybase, PostgreSQL, etc"
>
> Regards,
> -----------
> Shoaib Mir
> EnterpriseDB (www.enterprisedb.com <http://www.enterprisedb.com>)

Why don't you take a look at Lightning Admin for Postgresql, You are
looking at huge restrictions using Toad with Postgresql as only the
query editor works with it:

"Plus the SQL editor will actually function with any ODBC database
connection, thus it supports many other popular databases like Oracle,
DB2, Informix, Ingres, Access, MySQL, Sybase, PostgreSQL, etc."

For 10 bucks you can get the full featured Lightning Admin(with support)
that has a kick ass query editor with all the things you would expect
from a IDE editor including code completion /schema completion and
extremely nice query error handling modeled after psql.

See here for more info:
http://www.amsoftwaredesign.com/onlinehelp/pgla/code_completion.htm

http://www.amsoftwaredesign.com/onlinehelp/pgla/error_handling.htm

Lightning Admin also works with EnterpriseDB, though you have to use the
query editor to use the Oracle features.  We do plan on adding full
support for EnterpriseDB in the coming months.

For 10 dollars there is little risk in purchasing the software.  You can
also use it very effectively on Linux via WINE.

We also listen to our users and frequently add new features and fix bugs
usually  in one day, and sometimes in less than 1 hour.

All this for 10 dollars :-)  Check it out.

Later,

--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design

Re: TOAD-like query builder for PostgreSQL?

From
"Shoaib Mir"
Date:
Actually it was not me who was looking for a query builder, but yes in the past I did some research with PostgreSQL so was just trying out if anyone was able to use TOAD with it.

Lightning Admin looks good to me, good work.

Let me know in case you need help while adding on EnterpriseDB support to that.

------------

Date:
On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 10:12, Tony Caduto wrote:
> Shoaib Mir wrote:
> > Thanks Scott, just confirmed it from TOAD's review at
> > http://www.pcsoftland.com/development-tools/databases/toad-for-sql-server.htm
> >

> > "Plus the SQL editor will actually function with any ODBC database
> > connection, thus it supports many other popular databases like Oracle,
> > DB2, Informix, Ingres, Access, MySQL, Sybase, PostgreSQL, etc"
> >
> > Regards,
> > -----------
> > Shoaib Mir
> > EnterpriseDB (www.enterprisedb.com <http://www.enterprisedb.com>)
> >

> Why don't you take a look at Lightning Admin for Postgresql, You are
> looking at huge restrictions using Toad with Postgresql as only the
> query editor works with it:

I didn't come away with that impression from the toad web site.  Note
that I'm not a user, and not a huge fan or anything.  But, according to
this page, toad supports lots of databases besides oracle:

http://www.quest.com/toad_data_modeler/release_information.aspx

Re: TOAD-like query builder for PostgreSQL?

From
"Shoaib Mir"
Date:
Thanks for the link Scott.

----------------

Date:
Scott Marlowe wrote:

> I didn't come away with that impression from the toad web site.  Note
> that I'm not a user, and not a huge fan or anything.  But, according to
> this page, toad supports lots of databases besides oracle:
>
> http://www.quest.com/toad_data_modeler/release_information.aspx

that link is just for the data modeler add in module, That other quote
was for the Toad for MS SQL server where it states that the SQL editor
(query editor)
will work with other databases via ODBC.

So you can use the add in module to develop models, but there is no Toad
for Postgresql  as there is a Lightning Admin for Postgresql or a EMS
SQL Manager for Postgresql.

The Toad data modeler app does look nice though.

Later,

--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design
http://www.amsoftwaredesign.com
Your best bet for Postgresql Administration

Re: TOAD-like query builder for PostgreSQL?

From
dananrg@yahoo.com
Date:
Lightning Admin sounds good, but can it be used with databases other
than postgreSQL? It's always nice, when investing time learning a tool,
if it can be used elsewhere.