pg_get_serial_sequence is inconsistent

From
"Frank Millman"
Date:
Hi all

I found the following post dated October 2004 -

au> writes:
> >> pg_get_serial_sequence() does dequoting/downcasing on its relation-name
> >> argument, but not on its column-name argument.
>
> > I presume the reason for that is that the first paramater can be
qualified:

> Right.  From a bare-functionality point of view there's nothing wrong
> with it, it just seems inconsistent and therefore likely to trip someone
> up in future.
>
> But it seems no one else cares, so I'll shut up about it ...

This inconsistency has just bitten me. Did anyone decide to fix it, or does
it still behave the same?

I am using 8.1.3. Apologies if this has been fixed in 8.2 - I could not find
anything in the Release Notes.

Thanks

Frank Millman

Re: pg_get_serial_sequence is inconsistent

Date:

    http://momjian.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/pgpatches_hold

--
  Bruce Momjian   bruce@momjian.us

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Subject: Re: [GENERAL] pg_get_serial_sequence is inconsistent
>

> This has been saved for the 8.3 release:

Thanks

Frank

Re: pg_get_serial_sequence is inconsistent

Date:
FYI, we have at least documented this behavior in 8.2.X:

   <function>pg_get_serial_sequence</function> returns the name of the
   sequence associated with a column, or NULL if no sequence is associated
   with the column.  The first input parameter is a table name with
   optional schema, and the second parameter is a column name.  Because
   the first parameter is potentially a schema and table, it is not treated
   as a double-quoted identifier, meaning it is lowercased by default,
   while the second parameter, being just a column name, is treated as
   double-quoted and has its case preserved.  The function returns a value