Linux vs. FreeBSD

From
"Bart McFarling"

We are installing a new Postgresql server, it will not run anything else but postgresql. We are currently looking at moving from a RHEL 4.0 system to FreeBSD.

Does one OS offer better performace over the other when running postgresql?

Thanks,

Bart

Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD

From
Enrico
Date:
On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 10:12:57 -0600
"Bart McFarling" <bartm@iilogistics.com> wrote:

> We are installing a new Postgresql server, it will not run anything else
> but postgresql. We are currently looking at moving from a RHEL 4.0
> system to FreeBSD.
>
> Does one OS offer better performace over the other when running
> postgresql?

I had best performance on FreeBSD with his file system.

Look at this link.
http://www.postgresql.org/files/documentation/books/aw_pgsql/hw_performance/node11.html

Bye Enrico

--
If Bill Gates had a penny for everytime Windows crashed,he'd be a multi-billionaire by now .......oh look, he already
is!!!!

Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD

From
Ron Johnson
Date:

Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
Bart McFarling wrote:
> We are installing a new Postgresql server, it will not run anything else
> but postgresql. We are currently looking at moving from a RHEL 4.0
> system to FreeBSD.
>
> Does one OS offer better performace over the other when running
> postgresql?

I'd guess the crucial thing will be:
1. Your experience in admin-ing each.
2. Hardware support for each.

Some theoretical advantage isn't any use if your RAID array has poor
drivers on Linux or you don't know how to tune Free-BSD.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD

From
Enrico
Date:
> > I had best performance on FreeBSD with his file system.
> >
> > Look at this link.
> > http://www.postgresql.org/files/documentation/books/aw_pgsql/hw_performance/node11.html
>
> Is this still accurate 3.75 years later?

I don't know if is still accurate now, but
in my work I've seen that postgres with freeBSD
is more faster than postgres and Linux,
I used postgres with ext2 and ext3 filesystem.

Postgres was written under BSD systems and under BSD filesystem.

Regards,
Enrico

--
If Bill Gates had a penny for everytime Windows crashed,he'd be a multi-billionaire by now .......oh look, he already
is!!!!
scotty@linuxtime.it - Skype:sscotty71
http://www.linuxtime.it/enricopirozzi

Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD

From
Péter Kovács
Date:
Richard Huxton wrote:
> Bart McFarling wrote:
>> We are installing a new Postgresql server, it will not run anything else
>> but postgresql. We are currently looking at moving from a RHEL 4.0
>> system to FreeBSD.
>> Does one OS offer better performace over the other when running
>> postgresql?
>
> I'd guess the crucial thing will be:
> 1. Your experience in admin-ing each.
> 2. Hardware support for each.
>
> Some theoretical advantage isn't any use if your RAID array has poor
> drivers on Linux or you don't know how to tune Free-BSD.
Interesting. Instinctively, I'd have thought that, being more
main-stream, Linux has a better supply of drivers than Free-BSD. Have
you had any experience with Linux RAID drivers being poorer than Free BSD's?

P.

Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Sun, 2006-11-12 at 12:01 +0100, Péter Kovács wrote:
> Richard Huxton wrote:
> > Bart McFarling wrote:
> >> We are installing a new Postgresql server, it will not run anything else
> >> but postgresql. We are currently looking at moving from a RHEL 4.0
> >> system to FreeBSD.
> >> Does one OS offer better performace over the other when running
> >> postgresql?
> >
> > I'd guess the crucial thing will be:
> > 1. Your experience in admin-ing each.
> > 2. Hardware support for each.
> >
> > Some theoretical advantage isn't any use if your RAID array has poor
> > drivers on Linux or you don't know how to tune Free-BSD.
> Interesting. Instinctively, I'd have thought that, being more
> main-stream, Linux has a better supply of drivers than Free-BSD. Have
> you had any experience with Linux RAID drivers being poorer than Free BSD's?

You have to do your homework on FreeBSD as much as you do Linux. Most
RAID Drivers have caveats.

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/