cannot connect anymore from a remote host

From
Luca Ferrari
Date:
Hi all,
after a crash of my machine I restarted the pgsql as usual, and I can connect
from the machine itself, but no more from a remote host. I checked the
pg_hba.conf file and it's ok, but either from psql or pgadmin I cannot
connect to the host. Nmapping my host I cannot see the daemon listening on
the port 5342.
I've started the daemon as:
postmaster -D /mnt/data/database &
and my pg_hba.conf gile contains:
local   all         all                                             trust
# IPv4-style local connections:
host    all         all         127.0.0.1         255.255.255.255   trust
host    all         all         192.168.1.0       255.255.255.0     trust
host    all         all         192.168.2.0       255.255.255.0     trust
# IPv6-style local connections:
host    all         all         ::1
ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff        trust

Any suggestion?
Thanks,
Luca

Re: cannot connect anymore from a remote host

From
"Jeremiasz Miedzinski"
Date:
after a crash of my machine I restarted the pgsql as usual, and I can connect
from the machine itself, but no more from a remote host. I checked the
pg_hba.conf file and it's ok, but either from psql or pgadmin I cannot
connect to the host. Nmapping my host I cannot see the daemon listening on

Hi Luca,

Have You checked network interfaces on your machine ? Maybe some of them doesn't start-up properly...

Rgds.

--
-- audi vide sile --

Re: cannot connect anymore from a remote host

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
Luca Ferrari wrote:
> Hi all,
> after a crash of my machine I restarted the pgsql as usual, and I can connect
> from the machine itself, but no more from a remote host. I checked the
> pg_hba.conf file and it's ok, but either from psql or pgadmin I cannot
> connect to the host. Nmapping my host I cannot see the daemon listening on
> the port 5342.
> I've started the daemon as:
> postmaster -D /mnt/data/database &

Is that how you normally start your DB server? Not via pg_ctl or your
system startup scripts?

> and my pg_hba.conf gile contains:

If you say it's not listening on port 5432 then the pg_hba.conf doesn't
matter. Check your postgresql.conf for valid settings on
listen_addresses and port.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/runtime-config-connection.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-CONNECTION-SETTINGS

Once it's listening on the right port, then look at your pg_hba.conf
--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: cannot connect anymore from a remote host

From
Luca Ferrari
Date:
On Thursday 09 November 2006 15:57 Jeremiasz Miedzinski's cat, walking on the
keyboard, wrote:

> Have You checked network interfaces on your machine ? Maybe some of them
> doesn't start-up properly...

Interfaces are ok, and in fact other services on such interface are running
correctly.

Date:
> Luca Ferrari wrote:
>> I've started the daemon as:
>> postmaster -D /mnt/data/database &

> Is that how you normally start your DB server?

Ditto.  But if you are using a stock postgresql.conf then in fact the
postmaster will *not* be listening to TCP with that command line.
You need to check listen_addresses or tcpip_socket depending on which
Postgres release this is.

            regards, tom lane

Re: cannot connect anymore from a remote host

From
"Shoaib Mir"
Date:
You might want to check the ip tables as well if they have the required entries or not.

Thanks,
-------
Shoaib Mir
EnterpriseDB (www.enterprisedb.com)

On 11/9/06, Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com> wrote:
Luca Ferrari wrote:
> Hi all,
> after a crash of my machine I restarted the pgsql as usual, and I can connect
> from the machine itself, but no more from a remote host. I checked the
> pg_hba.conf file and it's ok, but either from psql or pgadmin I cannot
> connect to the host. Nmapping my host I cannot see the daemon listening on
> the port 5342.
> I've started the daemon as:
> postmaster -D /mnt/data/database &

Is that how you normally start your DB server? Not via pg_ctl or your
system startup scripts?

> and my pg_hba.conf gile contains:

If you say it's not listening on port 5432 then the pg_hba.conf doesn't
matter. Check your postgresql.conf for valid settings on
listen_addresses and port.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/runtime-config-connection.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-CONNECTION-SETTINGS

Once it's listening on the right port, then look at your pg_hba.conf
--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend