Pgsql on Solaris

From
Date:
How widespread is the use of PostgreSQL on Solaris?  I am beginning to sense that community support is not currently
verystrong on this platform, and that pgsql may not be the best candidate for my current project -- installing LXR on a
64-bitSolaris system.

I had to do a lot of web searching to learn how to get past a compilation problem, apparently fixed for the current
release;and now It appears (based on the reply below) that the "configure" setup is not ready to recognize 64-bit
solarisenvironment; the 32-bit executables are incompatible with 64-bit Perl.  I am not an autoconf hacker, and can't
affordin this case to go "where none have gone before".

This is always a challenge with Free Software, of course:  potential users of a given product need to know how to pick
theirbattles.

So, please advise as to the level of 64-bit Solaris 10 activity with pgsql.

Thanks,
Victor Odhner

---- Andrew Sullivan <ajs@crankycanuck.ca> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 12:40:41PM -0700, vodhner@cox.net wrote:
> How can I get the "make" to generate ELF 64-bit executables on Solaris 10?
> We're on Fujitsu hardware; uname -a displays this:
>   SunOS .... 5.10 Generic_118822-26 sun4us sparc FJSV,GPUZC-M

Well, to start with, are you using a compiler that can generate 64
bit binaries?  How about your libs?

Re: Pgsql on Solaris

From
Ray Stell
Date:
I was interested in going down that path.  This thread seems to be sparc
oriented.  How about on opteron?  Will pg work on solaris10 without too
much stress?

> isainfo -v
64-bit amd64 applications
        sse3 sse2 sse fxsr amd_3dnowx amd_3dnow amd_mmx mmx cmov amd_sysc cx8
        tsc fpu
32-bit i386 applications
        sse3 sse2 sse fxsr amd_3dnowx amd_3dnow amd_mmx mmx cmov amd_sysc cx8
        tsc fpu

thanks.

On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 10:43:55AM -0700, vodhner@cox.net wrote:
> So, please advise as to the level of 64-bit Solaris 10 activity with pgsql.

Re: Pgsql on Solaris

From
Steve Atkins
Date:
On Oct 31, 2006, at 9:43 AM, <vodhner@cox.net> <vodhner@cox.net> wrote:

> How widespread is the use of PostgreSQL on Solaris?  I am beginning
> to sense that community support is not currently very strong on
> this platform, and that pgsql may not be the best candidate for my
> current project -- installing LXR on a 64-bit Solaris system.
>
> I had to do a lot of web searching to learn how to get past a
> compilation problem, apparently fixed for the current release; and
> now It appears (based on the reply below) that the "configure"
> setup is not ready to recognize 64-bit solaris environment; the 32-
> bit executables are incompatible with 64-bit Perl.  I am not an
> autoconf hacker, and can't afford in this case to go "where none
> have gone before".

You should be able to build it just by setting CFLAGS and LDFLAGS
appropriately,
e.g.  "-xarch=v9", but my build scripts actually do it by setting CC
to "cc -xarch=v9" -
I don't recall why I did that, but it's possible there was something
funky with flags handling
somewhere in the build process.

Works fine, and has done for years. I've had 64 bit sparc builds
running happily
since 7.2 or so.

That's all assuming you're using Sun compilers on sparc. If not, I've
no idea whether
you can even build 64 bit binaries.

Cheers,
   Steve

> This is always a challenge with Free Software, of course:
> potential users of a given product need to know how to pick their
> battles.
>
> So, please advise as to the level of 64-bit Solaris 10 activity
> with pgsql.
>
> Thanks,
> Victor Odhner
>
> ---- Andrew Sullivan <ajs@crankycanuck.ca> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 12:40:41PM -0700, vodhner@cox.net wrote:
>> How can I get the "make" to generate ELF 64-bit executables on
>> Solaris 10?
>> We're on Fujitsu hardware; uname -a displays this:
>>   SunOS .... 5.10 Generic_118822-26 sun4us sparc FJSV,GPUZC-M
>
> Well, to start with, are you using a compiler that can generate 64
> bit binaries?  How about your libs?

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------

Re: Pgsql on Solaris

Date:
Ray Stell <stellr@cns.vt.edu> writes:
> I was interested in going down that path.  This thread seems to be sparc
> oriented.  How about on opteron?  Will pg work on solaris10 without too
> much stress?

It seems like most of the questions in this thread could be answered by
perusing the latest version of FAQ_Solaris:
http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/pgsql/doc/FAQ_Solaris?rev=1.22

In particular note the advice *against* using 64-bit on Sparc unless you
have a strong reason why you need it (hint: you probably don't).

            regards, tom lane

Re: Pgsql on Solaris

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 10:43:55AM -0700, vodhner@cox.net wrote:

> How widespread is the use of PostgreSQL on Solaris?  I am beginning

Well, one of the core members (Josh Berkus) actually works for Sun,
and Sun is officially supporting PostgreSQL in some capacity.
Moreover, I ran our Postgres installations on Solaris for years, and
would have continued to do so if I coulda got Sun to be nice to me as
a customer.  (There's more to that story, though, most of which I
can't discuss.)  I believe there are actually packaged binaries
available for Solaris, but I always built my own using gcc.

So It Worked For Me(tm) is about all I can tell you.

> I had to do a lot of web searching to learn how to get past a
> compilation problem, apparently fixed for the current release; and
> now It appears (based on the reply below) that the "configure"
> setup is not ready to recognize 64-bit solaris environment; the

I don't see how my reply says anything of the sort.  All you asked
was how you did that, and I asked you what I think are reasonable
questions, like "do you have a compiler that produces 64 bit
binaries?"  I certainly don't know any of that from what you've told
me so far.  Posting the exact error message you're getting might lead
you to more productive responses from people using Solaris today.  Or
maybe you can use the packages, and you don't need to build it.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
Unfortunately reformatting the Internet is a little more painful
than reformatting your hard drive when it gets out of whack.
        --Scott Morris

Re: Pgsql on Solaris

From
Date:
Thanks to all who replied.

The reason I wanted to go 64-bit on our Fujitsu sparc-alikes was that our sysadmins switched to 64-bit Perl as part of
thestandard package, and that broke our DBD::Pg interface.  With no warning, we started getting a message about Pg.so,
"WrongELF Class:  ELFCLASS32".

My assumption had been that 64-bit was the latest and greatest, so of course config should have found the appropriate
librariesetc. and set me up for a 64-bit make.  The answer to my question seems to be yes, I could cause 64-bit
compilation,but it's not the obvious way to go.

I don't know if our Fujis might be faster in 64-bit mode, but who cares when you're talking about CGIs?

So I think I'll beat on the admins to give me a 32-bit Perl under a different name for talking to Pgsql.  (Our Sun
operationis heavily administered to simulate our production world.  We also have linux boxes where we can play god if
wefeel that need.)

Thanks again,

Victor Odhner

Re: Pgsql on Solaris

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Ray Stell wrote:
> I was interested in going down that path.  This thread seems to be sparc
> oriented.  How about on opteron?  Will pg work on solaris10 without too
> much stress?

PostgreSQL will work wonderfully on Solaris10 Opteron.

Joshua D> Drake

>> isainfo -v
> 64-bit amd64 applications
>         sse3 sse2 sse fxsr amd_3dnowx amd_3dnow amd_mmx mmx cmov amd_sysc cx8
>         tsc fpu
> 32-bit i386 applications
>         sse3 sse2 sse fxsr amd_3dnowx amd_3dnow amd_mmx mmx cmov amd_sysc cx8
>         tsc fpu
>
> thanks.
>

> On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 10:43:55AM -0700, vodhner@cox.net wrote:
>> So, please advise as to the level of 64-bit Solaris 10 activity with pgsql.

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Pgsql on Solaris

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
vodhner@cox.net wrote:
> Thanks to all who replied.
>
> The reason I wanted to go 64-bit on our Fujitsu sparc-alikes was that
> our sysadmins switched to 64-bit Perl as part of the standard
> package, and that broke our DBD::Pg interface.  With no warning, we
> started getting a message about Pg.so, "Wrong ELF Class:
> ELFCLASS32".
>
> My assumption had been that 64-bit was the latest and greatest, so of
> course config should have found the appropriate libraries etc. and
> set me up for a 64-bit make.  The answer to my question seems to be
> yes, I could cause 64-bit compilation, but it's not the obvious way
> to go.

You only need the client libraries as 64-bit for this particular problem
. Of course, if server and client are on the same machine then it's
probably simpler to have everything the same.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: Pgsql on Solaris

From
"Merlin Moncure"
Date:
On 10/31/06, vodhner@cox.net <vodhner@cox.net> wrote:
> How widespread is the use of PostgreSQL on Solaris?  I am beginning to sense that community support is not currently
verystrong on this platform, and that pgsql may not be the best candidate for my current project -- installing LXR on a
64-bitSolaris system.

I recently compiled pg on a sun solaris 10/ultra sparc iii with no
issues.  I had never used sparc or solaris prevously.  Once I got a
handle on Sun's particular spin on unix, I determined the box to be
quite an amazing workhorse.

merlin