Migration

From
"Daniel Corbe"
Date:
Hello,

I heard from a bunch of PHP guys that Postgres is total crap.  Can
anyone recommend a guide for migrating to MySQL?

Thanks!

Re: Migration

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Fri, 2006-09-15 at 12:33 -0400, Daniel Corbe wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I heard from a bunch of PHP guys that Postgres is total crap.  Can
> anyone recommend a guide for migrating to MySQL?

Someone's been reading that Rasmus interview.

OK, I don't have a complete guide, but I think the steps go something
like this:

1:  Turn off critical thought processes and stop thinking for yourself.
2:  Denormalize all your data ahead of time.
3:  Stop looking at tweakers.net benchmarks.
4:  Install MySQL 3.23.xx.  After all, you won't need any fancy
features.  MyISAM for ALL!
5:  Run your server on RAID0 on IDE drives with untested memory and CPU
6:  Backup by copying the files out from under the live running MySQL
server.
7:  Don't test your restores.
8:  Buy all your hardware based on the numbers on the packaging.  Pay no
attention to those people who actually test hardware.  They've obviously
been bought off.
9:  Say goodbye to data coherency...

Re: Migration

From
Bernhard Weisshuhn
Date:
On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 12:33:37PM -0400, Daniel Corbe <daniel.junkmail@gmail.com> wrote:

> I heard from a bunch of PHP guys that Postgres is total crap.  Can
> anyone recommend a guide for migrating to MySQL?

Hello slashdot!

Re: Migration

From
Csaba Nagy
Date:
Daniel,

Is anybody paying you to steel the time of all the developers who will
rush and answer you ? Unless their troll-alarm will go off, which is
quite unusual for this species (the developer) in front of such
challenge...

Cheers,
Csaba.

On Fri, 2006-09-15 at 18:33, Daniel Corbe wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I heard from a bunch of PHP guys that Postgres is total crap.  Can
> anyone recommend a guide for migrating to MySQL?
>
> Thanks!

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Migration

From
"Daniel Corbe"
Date:
Sorry, I couldn't resist putting my toll hat on

On 9/15/06, Bernhard Weisshuhn <bkw@weisshuhn.de> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 12:33:37PM -0400, Daniel Corbe <daniel.junkmail@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I heard from a bunch of PHP guys that Postgres is total crap.  Can
> > anyone recommend a guide for migrating to MySQL?
>
> Hello slashdot!

Re: Migration

From
"Daniel Corbe"
Date:
I think I've already proven (see Scott and Bernhard's replies) that
their troll alarms work just fine.  Please realize that anyone who
took time to reply to this was already checking their E-Mail and being
unproductive.  Had I not posted this message I may have saved someone
say -- 30 seconds.

-Daniel