PostgreSQL books for beginner

From
venkata rao
Date:
could you suggest good books for a beginner learning PostgreSQL database.

thanks
rao.a.v

Re: PostgreSQL books for beginner

From
"A. Kretschmer"
Date:
am  Thu, dem 07.09.2006, um 15:58:14 -0400 mailte venkata rao folgendes:
> could you suggest good books for a beginner learning PostgreSQL database.

Visit our homepage and read http://www.postgresql.org/docs/books/

HTH, Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer
Kontakt:  Heynitz: 035242/47215,   D1: 0160/7141639 (mehr: -> Header)

Re: PostgreSQL books for beginner

From
Rich Shepard
Date:
On Thu, 7 Sep 2006, venkata rao wrote:

> could you suggest good books for a beginner learning PostgreSQL database.

   The Douglas and Douglas book -- second edition -- is excellent as an
introduction to PostgreSQL. If you want to learn SQL, any book by Joe Celko
will be the best you can do. It's been too long since I learned how to
design and normalize databases for me to be able to recommend a current
reference on that.

Rich

Re: PostgreSQL books for beginner

From
"Olexandr Melnyk"
Date:
On Thu, 7 Sep 2006, venkata rao wrote:
> could you suggest good books for a beginner learning PostgreSQL database.

Although being an old book, Bruce Momjian's "PostgreSQL: Introduction
and Concepts" can be a good start, especially for people, who haven't
used SQL before.

Olexandr Melnyk

Re: PostgreSQL books for beginner

From
"Michael Schmidt"
Date:
I began learning PostgreSQL a couple of years ago, having worked previously with Paradox.  I would agree with a previous responder that the Douglas & Douglas book "PostgreSQL: the comprehensive guide to building, programming, and administering PostgreSQL databases" 2nd ed. is a good book.  The shortcoming I noted (and I wrote an e-mail to the publisher about) was that it doesn't have a section on Rules (an important PostgreSQL feature).  Really, I think the documentation that comes with PostgreSQL is excellent - it even has a pretty good section on SQL, so I would start simply by reading the program manual.  I would agree there are a lot of books on SQL, even in the "For Dummies" series.

Regarding database design, two books come to mind.  G. Powell "Beginning database design" published by Wiley in 2005 and the (classic?) "Database design for mere mortals" 2nd ed. by M. J. Hernandez, published by Pearson Education in (I think) 2003.

As you begin working with PostgreSQL, I think you will find these Internet forums to be quite helpful.  There is a great bunch of people who are very willing to help.

Michael Schmidt