LISTEN considered dangerous

From
Flemming Frandsen
Date:
I have an application that does aggresive caching of data pulled from
the database, it even keeps the objects cached between transactions.

Normally this works very well and when the cache is warmed up about 90%
of the database time is saved.

However that leaves the problem of how to notice that my cached objects
have turned stale, luckily pg has the listen/notify feature so I have
triggers on all tables that do a notify, as you do.

However that just doesn't work, because listen is broken, allow me to
illustrate, here A and B are two clients: